Skip to main content

8 year vegetarian review!!!
I became a vegetarian on July 10th 2015.
I am Lauren and I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. That means I eat dairy, egg, and Plant products but no animals are sea animals.
I went vegetarian because of moral reasons: I do not believe it is ethically right to consume animals for any reason, those are my personal morals.  I do miss meat but my morals outweigh the murder of animals.
I do not see myself going vegan but I am not closed to it.
I would date a meat eater I just would not cook meat for anyone or buy meat for anyone because of my morals.
I do not wear animal clothing or that has animals in it.
When I shower, I use dish soap on my hair and body-vegetarian kind.
I use vegetarian hair products too. I use to have big boils on my face but since being vegetarian, My acne has cleared up a lot and my complexion is beautiful!
I am super skinny and feel great!
When I have kids someday, I plan on raising them vegetarian because I want them to respect animals and to believe its wrong to eat animals and sea creatures.
I have gotten judgments for being vegetarian and I have been scolded but nothing will stop me from my beliefs or deter them.
I get asked as well, if I was stranded on an island would I eat meat? My answer is no, I love animals too much to eat them or kill them.
I use to drink Boost dairy milk for protein and I use to eat dairy ice cream but since I have learned about the dairy industry and what they do to the cows, I have cut down on dairy, I eat vegan ice cream and vegan milk (soy milk).
Not all cheese is vegetarian. Farmers kills pigs, cows, sheep, goats, and they take their stomachs out and take the enzymes that are called rennet from their stomachs and they put it in cheese. I get special cheese and research before I buy any dairy cheese. Target Market Pantry cheese, Little Caesars (check on the sauce), Chuckie cheese (check on sauce) , Pizza hut (check on sauce) cheeze its, Dominoes (check on sauce) , all have vegetable rennet
I do not believe that people that consume meat or sea creatures are evil people, there are good people that do eat meat, eating meat does not make you a bad person so please do not feel like you are a bad person if you eat meat.
First thing first: Definitely watch your protein! Since we do not have a large intestine that absorbs everything, you need EXTRA protein. So definitely watch the levels, when I did not watch my levels: my skin was MAD dry, my hair/fingernails/ toe nails were not growing but now that I watch those levels, everything is growing! For protein I eat Peanut Butter, soy milk, plant meat protein, and bread for protein. The veggie meat brand name meats are Morning star, Gardein, AMYS, etc.
Vegetarians/vegans are typically low in iron, calcium, vitamin b12, and zinc. I drink soy milk to help with those levels and in addition to that, I take iron pills, calcium pills, vitamin D pills, and rarely take magnesium pills as well.
Please make sure you get all of your vitamins and minerals, especially if you are a person that has periods. If you do not do it right, it can stop or throw off your period so be careful
My poop comes out really good! It sometimes looks like the food I ate and it can be very liquiddy and it can be similar to popcorn chicken nuggets (veggie haha) food comes out easy like honey!!!
I use wipes strictly but if I am out, I use toilet paper- i would rather not because it hurts.
I have never had pouchitis-vegetarian/vegans diets are typically low in bacteria and high in probiotics and its healthy for the pouch obviously. No fruit or vegetable bothers my pouch at all, raw or cooked, nothing like that bothers my pouch.
When I go out to eat, I eat veggie burgers from restaurants or I get salsa chips with/without fries or I get guacamole and salsa.  Fast food places I go to Burger King or Wendys and I get the Vegan fries.
I went to Disney's Animal Kingdom with my dad to celebrate my 8 year vegetarian anniversary
I am  a volunteer with PETA now and they opened my eyes even more When i volunteer with PETA, I sign things to end animal abuse and I email governments and schools to end animal testing and animal abuse. Guess what!!! A lot of of the stuff I have signed, has actually helped and I helped PETA get victories!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the report and details.  I switched to vegan in Jan 2022.  In my Nov 2022 pouchoscopy, which always tends to show mild/mod pouchitis in all previous years, was much improved with very little evidence of it in the pouch.  I have no idea if there is a connection, but the first thought that occurred was the change in diet.  I have had antibiotic doses to treat the pouchitis every few years. Would be interested to know from other vegans if they have seen improvements too.

@AnthonyA posted:

Thanks for the report and details.  I switched to vegan in Jan 2022.  In my Nov 2022 pouchoscopy, which always tends to show mild/mod pouchitis in all previous years, was much improved with very little evidence of it in the pouch.  I have no idea if there is a connection, but the first thought that occurred was the change in diet.  I have had antibiotic doses to treat the pouchitis every few years. Would be interested to know from other vegans if they have seen improvements too.

Nice!!!1 I love Vegans. Are you a vegan for moral reasons???

And yeah Vegans/vegetarians naturally eat probiotics and prebiotics so it makes sense why we do not get pouchitis as much as meat eaters.

Last edited by Lauren Of Emerald City
@AnthonyA posted:

Overall yes, to save animals suffering.  That it also seems healthier is a bonus.  I will see if the pouch health stays good.  25 years of pouchitis to become clear (ish) in a year is pretty dramatic.  If it lasts a few years, then the only thing I can put it down to, the only change, would be the diet.

That is amazing!!! I am glad about people doing things like that for moral reasons. Same with me for being vegetarian for 8 years. I tip my hat you for being vegan, I hope you can do a review as well and even a "What you eat in day" menu too!

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.