Skip to main content

Ever since I got my J pouch in 2012, I've had this annoying issue with peanuts. If I eat a small amount of peanuts, or some peanut butter, I'm ok. But if I eat more than a handful of peanuts, my butt gets really itchy when they come out the other end. And if I eat a lot of peanuts, then it makes my butt hurt really bad. Last time I ate about 1/3 of a large container of honey roasted peanuts and the pain the next day was so bad I didn't want to get out of bed.

The weird thing, though, is that this doesn't always happen. It's been happening more and more often in the past 8 years, but there have also been plenty of times in the past 8 years when it didn't happen. But I think the times when it doesn't happen tend to be if I had a dose of Metamucil or a bunch of other foods with the peanuts that have absorbed and diluted them.

I never had anything like this happen when I had my colon. And I never have any other weird symptoms when I eat peanuts. My mouth doesn't itch or tingle or hurt, or anything. And it never did. Is it possible that's I've been a little allergic this whole time and just never knew it? Or could this be a new allergy?

Or are most people sensitive to peanuts in this way and they just don't know it because the irritating bits get absorbed by the time it gets to their colons?

Do any other J pouchers have this issue with peanuts?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@melissa111 posted:

When I eat other oily foods, it doesn't happen though.

Interesting! Sounds like some sort of allergy unfortunately. Do you think you can go without eating peanuts??? That might be a better option for you so this can stop, I would hate for you to be in pain.

When I had hot sauce with my colon, everything was fine. When I had it with my J-pouch is burned a lot coming out. We have different systems that colon people.

Your Statement: "Or are most people sensitive to peanuts in this way and they just don't know it because the irritating bits get absorbed by the time it gets to their colons?" That sounds genius!!!! I think your right!

Might be better for you to go without peanuts, just like I go without hot sauce.

I have the same issue with hot sauce and other spicy foods. That is not because of an allergy, though. Spicy foods bother us because the capsasin in the peppers burns. And I guess most of that stuff normally get absorbed in the colon before it comes out.

There is a solution for the spicy foods, though. Actually two things:

Milk and a supplement called Prelief. The proteins in the milk coat the capsasin molecules and deactivate them. When you eat something spicy, drink milk or eat ice cream as soon as possible and it won't hurt coming out the other end.

Prelief helps more with acidic foods if that bothers you. Things like lemon juice or tomato sauce. It's a pill that you take with your meal and it neutralizes the acid. I'm not sure what's in it. I think is has some kind of calcium in it. You can get it on Amazon.

As for the peanut issue, I'm fine if I eat peanut butter. It's just when I eat a large amount of roasted peanuts, that it bothers me, so I can't have those.

@melissa111 posted:

I have the same issue with hot sauce and other spicy foods. That is not because of an allergy, though. Spicy foods bother us because the capsasin in the peppers burns. And I guess most of that stuff normally get absorbed in the colon before it comes out.

There is a solution for the spicy foods, though. Actually two things:

Milk and a supplement called Prelief. The proteins in the milk coat the capsasin molecules and deactivate them. When you eat something spicy, drink milk or eat ice cream as soon as possible and it won't hurt coming out the other end.

Prelief helps more with acidic foods if that bothers you. Things like lemon juice or tomato sauce. It's a pill that you take with your meal and it neutralizes the acid. I'm not sure what's in it. I think is has some kind of calcium in it. You can get it on Amazon.

As for the peanut issue, I'm fine if I eat peanut butter. It's just when I eat a large amount of roasted peanuts, that it bothers me, so I can't have those.

Yeah i know spicy foods are not part of an allergy, I was trying to use it as an example. And WOW! Thank-you for that suggestion about how to eat spicy foods!!! I have not had spicy foods in years!!! Since you mentioned that, I totally need to try it! Thanks hon!!!

Does it work for you pretty good???

Yeah, just make sure you drink at least one cup of milk, as soon as possible after you eat the spicy food. I don't think the type of milk really matters much, but maybe whole milk might be a little better.

If you're in a restaurant and you feel weird about ordering milk, you could eat ice cream instead. It works almost as well. In your case, since you haven't had spicy food in years, I might even try both at the same time. Drink a glass of milk and then eat some ice cream, right after the spicy food. You want to make sure the milk mixes with all the other food in your stomach, before any of it has had a chance to leave your stomach.

I think it works pretty well, but it's not always perfect. Sometimes I take the prelief at the same time with the milk, for added assurance, even though prelief is really meant for acidic foods, not the spicy stuff, so much.

Last edited by melissa111
@melissa111 posted:

Yeah, just make sure you drink at least one cup of milk, as soon as possible after you eat the spicy food. I don't think the type of milk really matters much, but maybe whole milk might be a little better.

If you're in a restaurant and you feel weird about ordering milk, you could eat ice cream instead. It works almost as well. In your case, since you haven't had spicy food in years, I might even try both at the same time. Drink a glass of milk and then eat some ice cream, right after the spicy food. You want to make sure the milk mixes with all the other food in your stomach, before any of it has had a chance to leave your stomach.

I think it works pretty well, but it's not always perfect. Sometimes I take the prelief at the same time with the milk, for added assurance, even though prelief is really meant for acidic foods, not the spicy stuff, so much.

WOw thank-you I love learning new stuff. I am not surprised to hear milk works. A few years ago, I hear that people that acted as mermaids on tv shows, often would put *full cream milk drops* in their eyes to keep the ocean water from burning their eyes. Have you heard about that too???

Add Reply

Post
Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×