CT, even though the VSL alone was insufficient to help with (or even delay onset of) pouchitis, it might be worth experimenting with using it during an antibiotic course, too. My rationale would be that (assuming it's not completely destroyed by the antibiotic) it would have more time to work. The time course you described may simply be too short for VSL to have any effect - the underlying pouchitis conditions just came roaring back immediately. Just a possibility...
I did consider this possibility. The problem with my pouchitis is that it has NEVER been completely eliminated with antibiotics, it has been held in check in what my GI described as a perpetual "simmering" status. Perhaps I would have a better shot at having VSL#3 DS work if the pouchitis could be stamped out in the first instance by antibiotics. But it never has been.
I realize that 6 days is not exactly a long time for any treatment, so what I'm going to do is take the VSL#3 DS at the rate of one packet per day between antibiotic dosages, and then attempt a cold turkey week off antibiotics once again, and see what happens. However, I'm not holding out much hope for VSL#3 DS being able to effectively treat the pouchitis alone, especially since the antibiotics have failed to completely stamp out the pouchitis even at higher dosages.
I have nothing to lose- I have two whole boxes of VSL#3 DS in the fridge, and there is no sense in throwing it out. At worst, it is a very expensive placebo. At best, your theory might work.