First I want to thank everyone for all their thoughts, prayers, encouragement and advice. Everyone has been extremely helpful throughout this ordeal.
Background: 72 year old with ulcerative colitis. Step I--part of colon removed because of blockage, stoma installed. Step II--complete colon removal, stoma closed, ileostomy. Step III--J-Pouch developed. Step IV--takedown.
I had my takedown on Feb 4th, a little over one month ago. I saw my surgeon and my gastro doctor last week. They both believe I am on the right track. I will not bullshit anyone, it has been a rough month. But day by day I feel stronger and am adjusting to this new plumbing system.
Some of the problems I am experiencing have been:
- Not being able to tell the difference between passing gas and stool. When I try to pass gas sometimes I end up passing stool. I am hopeful this will improve. Does Gas-X help?
- On some days I am passing stool 5-6 times a day. On other days I pass stool 3-4 times per day. I have found that my stool is not quite pasty like peanut butter, but not totally liquid either. I have been using Metamusal.
- When I eat food that does not agree with me (I have not yet figured out which food is agreeable and which is not) it feels like I have a knot in my stomach for a long time, but eventually goes away. I am using Zantac.
- I have a lot of gas pains, especially at night and when I try to pass only gas, unfortunately sometimes stool comes out. I have been wearing diapers.
- But burn has not been too much of a problem and I have been using lotions to sooth the burn.
I hope I have not bored you all with the problems I am experiencing but just wanted to know if any of you all have experienced the same and any corrective actions you have been taking.
Thanks again for all your help.