Ive been managing my chronic poichitics amazingly with a combo of Immuran and rotating antibiotics for about 4-5 years, but my white count has dropped low enough they are asking me to stop Immuran for 2 weeks and then retest. Obviously my best hope is that my white count goes back up, but then what is next if that happens? See if I can maintain symptom management at a lower dose? Immuran wasn’t around during my UC days, so just trying to get a sense of whether I might still be able to continue this drug to manage. Of course I have angst about possible lymphoma in the back of my mind and nervousness that going to biologics is my next step (also have anxiety about switching to biologics-not because I am worried about being on them, just because I’ve liked having biologics in my back pocket as I have slowly failed all other treatment options). Hoping to hear from someone who has successfully stayed on inmuran after a dropped white count to help me stay hopeful
In case anyone reads this old post, I went off Immuran for 2 weeks. Symptoms kicked up, which wasn't great, but white count improved. They put me back on Immuran at a slightly lower dose and so far, things seem to be going well. I retest again in about 2 months to make sure counts are holding okay at this lower dose, but the good news is symptom management is back again, even at this lower dose. I had been on a diet and losing weight, so being at a lower weight I probably needed less of the drug anyway, plus I had probably been restricting my calories a bit too much (to meet a diet "goal") and caloric restriction can also lower one's white count, so that also didn't help.
Happy to be back on track with my trusty Immuran/rotating antibotics combo for as long as I can ride this out!