Skip to main content

I had my takedown surgery done this past Tuesday and am back
home again this evening. Everything went very smoothly and
I started passing gas yesterday morning and stool around noon.

They started me on a liquid diet and I got up four times last
night to empty my pouch with no real urge or frequency, it just
felt full. This morning they bumped me back to a low residue
diet again and I've had another 4/5 BM's through the course of
the day plus a two hour ride home late this afternoon in the car.

Again no urges or frequency and no accidents on the ride home. My
output last night was liquidy but it's thickened up a lot today. My
doc says that I've got the best outcome that can be expected so early
in the game and she said it should only get better as time passes.

All in all I'm very happy with how things have turned out so far, a
little butt burn but they started me in on Hydraguard silicone skin
barrier guard cream and it's calmed down nicely.

They want me to stay on the low residue diet for the next six weeks
and I plan on doing so and taking it real easy working back into
different foods. I really got myself up quickly and moving after
surgery and did nine circuits around the surgical ward on Tuesday, twelve
more on Wednesday, fifteen yesterday with another dozen before being
discharged today. All the walking really helped to get my system bump started

My doc actually did a small resection for my takedown and loosely stapled
the incision shut. The staples were pulled today and it's now closed with
steri strips.
Original Post
Congrats! Glad you are doing so well. I will never forget a few weeks after takedown I went to my favorite burger place and had a cheeseburger, fries and a milkshake. I don't think anything ever tasted so good! It was so long since I was able to eat something like that because of stupid UC. But definately stick to a boring diet right now until you heal a little more and make sure to drink plenty of fluids. Continued good health to you! Smiler
Thanks Marianne,

I had a decent night last night. No leakage at all
which I think might have been brought on in the
hospital from being so groggy from the pain meds. I
was only up a couple of times and again with no urgency.

They have me back on a Prednisone taper yet once again
following surgery and the Prednisone side effects have
been the worst part of it so far.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.