Skip to main content

Hi All,

I had my takedown on April 23, 2012 and I just recently started to feel better. I have to tell you that I felt hopeless in the beginning thinking things were not going to change and that they wouldn't get better. Well they do!!! You have to let time pass and give your body a chance to adjust to the major trauma that it has gone through.

I FINALLY went back to work last week after being out since last November. I spent 35 days in the hospital after my first surgery with just about every complication you can think of.

I am not 100% better but starting to feel like I am at least getting some of my life back and that feels great.

Please, please, please don't give up. I pray for all who are suffering on this site as I know what it is like to be in constant pain and anguish and feel like it is never going to get better.

Measure your progress by month not days or weeks. Look at the first of the month and see if you are doing better than the first of the previous month. I keep a journal every day of what I eat, when I go to the bathroom and how I feel. I also have a monthly spreadsheet where I can actually see my progress because sometimes we don't always realize that we even made any.

The recovery is VERY slow for this - slower for some than others. I can honestly say that I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I thank God for that.

Anyways just wanted to try and be an encouragement to some people. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions - I am happy to try and help anyone.

God bless!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think alot of us relate to your experience.

For myself it was almost an entire year before I have now begun to feel like my body has adjusted more. I still have rough nights with waking up and bathroom trips etc.... but my daytimes have become pretty routine. And I'm fully expecting my nights will slowly improve as I try out other night time coping techniques and body continues to adjust (??).... hoping.....

and for any of the new j pouchers who are still in the thick of the rough times... use the search functionality in this forum if you don't find any ideas in current threads. Lots of good ideas in this forum...........
Hi I am a new member and wanted to share my story to add some encouragement to others. I have had UC since the birth of my son in 1993. I wasn't too sick over the years, but had a couple of bad bouts and was hospitalized only once. I had yearly colonoscopies and in Nov.2011 my scope showed that some of the cells of my large bowel were looking rather suspicious. My gastroenterologist had me see a surgeon, and she was very concerned. After discussing my case with others and reviewing results, she thought it best I have the large bowel removed. Needless to say, I was shocked. I went through a period where I was very anxious, upset and scared. I couldn't sleep well and was having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that I may have to have a colostomy. I even took a trip to Bahamas with my husband to try and relax, but that, too, proved not to help. A positive factor was that my surgeon is the only one in my region that could do the surgery laproscopicaly. She explained about the j-pouch(I had never heard of it until that day!) and that she may have to perform a colostomy temporarily. Surgery was set for Feb.15/12 and she said it would be about 7 hours. I was a total wreck. I went into the surgery while my husband waited in the family room. Things went very well. She was done in 5 hours and was able to perform the j-pouch all in one surgery. She said everything looked good on the inside, so she decided to do everything in one step. I woke up and felt my abdomen area feeling for the colostomy and there wasn't one. I was so relieved. I went up to my room and felt quite good. The next day was fine as well. I was up walking and didn't feel too bad. After that, things went downhill a bit. I started vomiting for almost a week straight, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. They finally discovered that I had a blood clot on the portal vein that goes to the liver which was causing me to be very sick, but once they started treating the clot, things got better. I was supposed to be in the hospital for 5 days and was there for 23 days. I had some rough days, felt angry, sad, depressed...I lost 20 lbs. while I was in the hospital.

Now jump to Aug.2012 and I am feeling great. I returned to work in May, started back at playing soccer in June and I am coping well. My surgeon says except for the blood clot setback, I am doing great. I am able to sleep through nearly every night, am eating a well-rounded diet, having no pain and feeling nearly back to normal. I was fortunate that I was not very sick with my UC, so I think that played a role in my recovery. According to other patients on the floor I was on, having the j-pouch in one step is not very common, so I consider myself lucky. I still have days I feel sad and depressed, but it passed quickly and realize I have a future with my family.

Please, stay strong and know you can get through it! I did and am relieved.
Hi Wendy and welcome! That is some story. You are right, having a one step isn't too common for the exact reason you mentioned...most of us are just too sick going into surgery. That's great that you got to skip all those steps. The blood clot must have been terribly scary. That I suppose could happen in any kind of surgery. Glad you are doing well now. Smiler
Hello all -
I,too, am feeling a bit better since takedown 4/30/2012. I didn't ever think I would feel like this. For me, the picc line has helped a great deal. I am on it every other day still. Hoping to get off the picc line soon.

I can feel the j pouch getting stronger, though. I still get up at night at least 3 times. During the day I am stronger so that I can do the simple things (like household chores). That is a good thing!

It is good to read that everyone is doing well.

Keeping the faith -
Roberta Smiler
So happy I found this site I'm 5 days post op from illeostomy take down ,I had a my rectum removed and a j pouch made 3 months ago due to having stage T2 bowel cancer at 35
I just got out of hospital today and bowels have only just started to work it scary when you dont know whats happening is normal and this site has been so amazing in the short time I have started reading thank you for sharing your journeys to help people like me

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.