Hello Everyone,

I have information that should help with financial assistance for people living in Canada with Intestinal Bowel Disease.

Canada has a program called the Disability Tax Credit:


Most people suffering from IBD can apply to this program's benefits (for which there are many). For those who do not earn a lot, there are also grants available.

The Canadian government has also created Disability Savings Plan for those 49 and younger. In this plan, the government matches contributions up until a predetermined amount based on income.  The only limitations are that one must wait until 69 before being able to access this money otherwise there are penalties.

Under Canadian tax law, one can go back and refile the last 10 years worth of tax returns. This means for any amount that one was entitled to in the last 10 years, the government will allow you to refile tax returns for the specific years and get compensation for monies overlooked. Going back 10 years can lead to  a sizable amount.

This is a legitimate program from the government of Canada (you can research it) and has nothing to do with one's ability to work (e.g. people in a wheel chair are handicap but they can still work). The basic requirements is that a doctor certify the following:

1. That the person is living with the disease (indicate when first diagnosed with the disease)

2. That one spends more time in the toilet trying to pass stool than the average person

If a doctor certifies these conditions (by filling out the Government of Canada disability tax credit form), there is an excellent chance to be classified as handicap and entitled to the benefits of this program.

I myself suffer from UC and I have benefited from being part of this program.

One has nothing to lose by filling out the proper forms and getting your doctor to sign it.

The process was quite easy for me and the government was very cooperative. The Federal and provincial governments accepted my application without question. I was able to claim over 10 K in missed money over the last 10 years (I have been living with Ulcerative Colitis in 1980).

You can contact me privately if you have any questions and I can provide information and assistance with filling out the forms.

I am posting this information for the benefit of the community. I am not interested in any financial gain nor would I expect to be paid for helping people with this process. I only want to help people suffering from  horrible diseases like Ulcerative Colitis and Crohns. 

Best Regards,


Original Post

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.