After checking out this page for a couple years now, I decided it was time for me to participate and ask the experts.
It has come to the point in my UC life that I have reached the end of my medication rope. I have had it for 8 years and every drug under the sun has been tried and has eventually failed on me. I have had anywhere from 2 years to 4 months worth of remission. I told myself Stelara was the last drug I would try and then I was done being a guinea pig to this disease. I am a new mom so playing the "escape from a room as quick as possible to get to the bathroom" game is no longer in the cards for me. The side effects no longer just effect me, I have my family to worry about and my health is more important than ever now. I mentally gave myself one more year and then I would get the surgery. That one year would help carry me to my wedding and hopefully another pregnancy! Well, that 1 year timeline I gave myself has abruptly ended two days ago when I started flaring just 1 month after Stelara put me into remission (the fastest any drug has failed me). I literally do not have any other options of medications, and even if I wanted to go on prednisone (which I am also DONE with) it doesn't even touch me anymore.
So here I am, no medication options, 1 year away from my wedding and my son just turned 8 months. Do I get the surgery and risk becoming infertile, complications and all of the above? Or do I tough it out, fight it with diet, do every holistic approach under my belt to get me until I can have another baby and then give up my colon?
I have been to many consultations with surgeons and doctors and half say hold out as long as you can and the other half told me they would have taken my colon out years ago. Confusing to say the least ...