Skip to main content

Hello,

I just wanted to log-in here, nine years to the day since my colon ruptured from a particularly aggressive, new case of UC.

I found this forum after, when I was healing and waiting on the J-Pouch surgeries.

I was afraid, angry, and I found answers to a lot of my questions here.

One thing I kept reading was that the vast majority of patients aren’t here because they have good results.

That has been my experience; my life and my guts are in reasonable harmony. Do I wish I was a once-a-day pooper and that farts were still a solo act? Sure do.

But I can not complain, I don’t feel any limitations in my day-to-day life, and have seen continual improvement, including, in the last year, regularly sleeping for 6-9 hours without having to get up, which has been massive for me.

So, basically, having to find this forum sucks. But if you’re scared and angry, as I was, it could work out ok for you, as it has for me.

Last edited by ATXGuy
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

ATX,

thanks for checking in and really glad to hear you are doing so well.  I am not yet two years in and still having daily challenges.

I guess there might come a day when I  don’t visit here as frequently as I do now.

Since this forum was incredibly helpful in my early days after my two takedowns I feel good about trying to give back and help others as best I can.

Hi @ATXGuy.  Also in Austin, TX.  Glad to know there are at least two of us j-pouchers in this town.  I like to go out to eat but I have dietary restrictions that make it difficult: no gluten, no dairy.  With the pouch came food sensitivities.  Do you do that?  And if so, what restaurants in your part of town are friendly?  I figure we don't live in the same part of town, because what are the odds?  Thanks! 

@ATXGuy posted:

I’m not the best person to ask about dietary limitations/issues. I basically have no dietary restrictions, just occasionally make informed choices about things that I know are going to move through more quickly vis a vis my future plans.

I'm so glad you have found this to be the case!  That was me too, at first.  The gut seems to have gotten more sensitive over time.  I hope that doesn't happen to you!  I have had my pouch about 10 years longer than you, it looks like. 

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.