Skip to main content

Just found out the little girl of a friend of my sisters had a total colectomy at nine months old! She will have an ostomy for six to 18 months before reversal. I cannot even imagine how difficult this will be for that family until she is older.
9 months old!! Guess I will quit my own complaining for awhile. My prayers are certainly with them :-(
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

On the other hand, she will be well adjusted to the ostomy/J Pouch (?) psychologically because it will be the only thing she has ever known, assuming she adapts to it well. I wonder though if they will need to make surgical adjustments as she grows. I hope it works well for her. You are right that it will be difficult for the parents who will become de facto ostomy nurses in addition to changing diapers.
Don't wish it Vanessavy...
I was born with this, lived on fluids til 2 and then had my colostomy on my 2nd BD. It leaves scars....no just physically. I have never, ever known life as a healthy, carefree person...I do not know what going to grade school or highschool healthy is like. I only learned what life without pills, pain and suffering (not to mention public humiliation) was like after I recieved the k pouch.
Some people are lucky enough to only retain the physical scars but some continue to be sick forever.
Sharon

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.