Skip to main content

Hey gang!

Well, not sure if this is a rant or a rave, but today marks exactly 8 weeks since my last surgery. It's been a bumpy recovery, pain has been manageable with Percocet, but trying to get my strength back is the real battle. Only a 30 minute walk and I'm beat (my usual walks are about two hours). Granted, I did have three relatively major surgeries in only a 17 month period, and, I'm not 20 anymore (I'm 20, + 25!), but still, I'm concerned. I should be more energetic by this point. My employers and evil disability insurance rep and both trying to force me back to work, but I just don't have the strength, and neither will believe me. Thankfully, Dr. Cohen has been on vacation for over a month, and I haven't even got my post op follow up apt, so I may have several weeks yet. But the stress these people put on you is insane, for example.......Freddy, his mom and I flew to DC for Xmas. We were only there for five days, most of that time I spent in the hotel room, I was just too weak. But it was a planned family reunion (Freddy's family), we had it booked 6 months before I even knew I was having surgery. For over two years, I've been stuck at home, sick, staring at the four walls, so even though I wasn't quite up to it, I desperately looked forward to a change of scenery, and to see my sister in law and her family, who flew all the way from El Salvador to meet us there. It was really nice to see everyone. Now, flash forward to last week, when my manager called, to say I was a fraud because I flew to DC while on disability (Freddy and I both work for the same department, and someone, who remains unknown, ratted me out to my manager). My SOB manager, who has Crohns himself, told me if I didn't provide a doctors note stating I was medically cleared to fly, he'd force me to repay all the disability and force me back to work. He also added that if I don't send him the note in one day he'd see to it I'd loose my job, what an...well, I can't swear here, fill in the blank! I actually did ask Dr Cohen if I'd be ok to fly, and he told me I'd be fine, so I'm not worried about getting the note. The fact that they are not just asking, but demanding it and threatening me is so insulting and infuriating!!!! I politely reminded him of how I was the only person who defended him when he was off sick for over 6 months, but he told me it doesn't matter, nice huh? Needless to say I don't want to go back to work now, and would happily screw him over if given the chance.....BUT, try as I may, I just can't stoop to his level, I'm better then that, and that's exactly what I told him! I don't get it, I've been 100% honest all along! and all I get is grief in return. Admittedly, I'm beginning to see why so many milk it for all they can. I don't know what to do at this point, and suggestions?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Sweetie,
So sorry that you have to deal with this crap on top of the medical stuff.
I would call you family doc first and ask what can be done, tell him that you were cleared and see if he can write you something then tell them that your surgeon is out of town and not available to write anything while on His Holidays.
They can not oblige your surgeon to come back from vacation just to write a note!
I agree that it is exhausting going through surgery after surgery...my body has never snapped back.
I remarked to some friends over yesterday that last year at this time I was climbing my exercise hill (70 steps) 15xs ...That is over 1000 steps...And today I can barely do it once.
Crap...hate to say it that we are not getting any younger any more!
Hugs and good luck
Sharon
Ditto to what Sharon said. You are better that that jerk boss, keep taking the high road and don't stoop to his level. You are going to be fine because you did nothing wrong. Can you call your doctor's office and talk to his nurse about the note problem. Doctor's usually call in from their vacations. It could be as simple as her/him asking him if it's ok to write you a note, he says yes, the note gets written and the problem goes away.

Hang in there!
If you called or emailed your question, it would be in your records. Anybody in the office could look it up and fill out your form for your silly boss. By the way, since when does flying in an airplane equate with being fit for work? Plus, flying from Toronto to DC is not anywhere the same as being on your feet for an 8 hour shift! They fly sick patients all the time... Mad

Personally, I think your boss is just being a jerk and is speaking out of turn. If you have the doctor's note stating you are off work for a specified amount of time, you do not need to be in bed all that time. Talk to your HR resource, but I think he is out of line and cannot make that demand.

Jan Smiler
Jan is right, he cannot force you to give him such a note. If you're off on disability, then that's that. If he honestly thought you were running a scam, there are legal channels for him to go through (and it would be the HR dept, not him anyway). As it is, I think this means YOU have legal channels to go through for intimidation.

Hang in there,
Gin
Oh my gosh Eric. I am only about 3-1/2 weeks postop from my first surgery. It has been really hard to deal with without having additional stress of dealing with a boss like yours. I was just wondering how you are feeling and if you are getting better and how it worked out with your boss? I sure hope you have good news to report.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.