Skip to main content

I am 7 weeks out from my reversal. I'm not sure how I should be feeling, or if I should be having better luck emptying my pouch. I seem to have a lot of trouble getting to the completely empty pouch stage. I don't know if I am doing to much fiber supplement or not enough. I do a table spoon first thing in the morning, and another before dinner, and another at bed time. My output is pretty thick, is this causing my problem of emptying completely?

This problem really seems to hit me in the evening. I go and go and go, with just little output each time. I never feel like the pouch is ever completely empty.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm not sure how thick "pretty thick" is. If your stool is unformed then consistency is probably fine (i.e. not the cause of the issue). I'm not sure about fiber at bedtime - it never occurred to me to try that. I use fiber to thicken up food residue, so I only take it with meals. Your overall fiber dose isn't extreme, but the best way to find out if there's a connection is to experiment. You could try going a day or two without fiber supplements and see what it's like for you. The best dose for you can only be determined by trial and error.

Seven weeks is still pretty early, so your body is still learning how to manage this. All kinds of ideas have been suggested here on the past - you could search for them. I'd suggest a search word like "emptying." For example, some folks benefit from a small stool underfoot while on the toilet. Good luck!

I'm seven weeks post takedown as well Noya12 and I'm going through the same exact symptoms never really feel like I'm emptying out my pouch and always small amounts and once 8-9pm hits I'm constantly going but fine from 2pm -7pm I take Imodium 2-3 times a day and Metamucil 1-2 times a day and Ive been eating the same things for the last 4 weeks grilled chicken abs white rice or mash potatoes... I wish I could help out but if you figure out something please let me know lol ... Good luck to you 

I had my Jpouch done in 3 surgeries and they were all successful. I'm about 6 weeks out from my third surgery and I'm experiencing similar things. Around 6pm - ish, I'm definitely going more (and in the middle of the night I'm going atleast 5-6 times). It's super frustrating, especially when I'm taking both Imodium and Lomotil and some Metamucil. My surgeon says its normal though. And it's a little comforting to know that others are having similar experiences. Super super annoying...but it seems to just be part of the healing process

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.