Skip to main content

In Aug 2016, I had a perianal abscess drained at the ER. We went through a week of about 4 pack changes.

Now March 2017, I am still walking around with a gauze pad. It's not puss or mucus, more so the regular liquid of a scab trying to heal.

My doctor 2 weeks ago looked at it, said it still looked good as the wound was the size of a pin-hole. He prescribed me Silver Sulfadiazine Cream. I rub it on the wound as he said it promotes healing.

I know it's been a long time and I am eagerly awaiting to get back to my sports hobbies but this is still holding me back. I've been pretty passive with my activity and it doesn't seem to heal.

Anybody have insights of what I can do?

Thanks

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had my surgery 16 months ago to remove my pouch.  Part of my inscion towards the bottom is still healing. Finally closed up but now I think it's on the verge of infection.  We know when it's infected. By the way it looks and feels. Anyway.  It's just in a spot that when you sit it's in the bend so it see alot of activity.  I drive a fork lift at work. And I am up and down a hundred plus times a night. No joke. So it just won't heal.  It will start to on the weekends but it will break open as soon as work starts on Monday. 

It's nothing serious but just won't heal over. And it's been a long time.  Just a nuisance.  

I would only guess it won't heal because of where yours is located also?   I don't know.  

Richard. 

I had an abscess in the same place back in July and it took forever for it too heal. It was an infected abscess and I thought it was hemroids. I used tucks and cream, but it didn't help. My boyfriend made me go to the er and I was in so much pain, the EMTs had to pull me up. The er doctor had a surgeon Lance it for me. A couple of my incisions have healed all the way. The incision from where my ileostomy was hasn't healed all the way. It's been three months since my take down o thought it'd be healed by now.

I know this forum has been inactive for awhile. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

After a year of responses I hope everyone’s wound is healed? Could you please give me insight how it healed? What the doctors have said during your 2nd round visits ? Any tips with the recovery process? 

I had my perennial abscess removed nov 17 last year and to this date I am still discharging or sometimes bleeding (it’s been 4-5 months of slow healing). The wound is pretty much packed now and there could be a small hole/tunnel. 

I recently went to a private surgical doctor in Santorini, Greece. Which I found they were more concerned about extracting more money from my travel health insurance than being helpful. The advice I received was to use  Betadine surgical scrub solution and give the wound a good clean after the bathroom without an understanding reason why it’s taking so long to fully heal.

The issue is I am travelling long term (8 months left of travelling) and won’t have access to my home country doctor til about Feb 2019.

Please help! 

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.