Skip to main content

Hi I'm new to the group so happy I found some info had no info from hospital at all
I had T2 bowel cancer in May and lost my rectum and had a temp ileostomy put in.
Had my takedown last Wednesday was sent home Sunday and bowels started working yesterday was in a lot of spasm pain yesterday in j Pouch area and back passage I was a mess was ready to go back t the hospital,went about 4 times yesterday but nothing today ?Is this normal or is it the calm before the storm :/
I'm scared
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello.

First, congratulations on your take down.

Second, you need to start measuring progress in weeks and months, not days. Your pouch is learning what it needs to do and your body is adjusting. Going only 4-8 times a day is probably average for most. Some go more, few go less. It will change over the first year or so however as it adapts.

Food is a major issue on how often you will go as well. Certain foods will not work well while others will do great. It is trial and error. If a food does not agree, try it again in a few weeks and see how it goes.

The spasms and discomfort are common this early on. I was pretty uncomfortable for about 4-6 weeks after take down. It improved greatly after.

Take warms baths to soothe your bottom, use barrier creams to protect your skin, eat VERY gently the first 6 weeks, and consider probiotics or digestive enzymes to help with digestion and gas. Gas hurts.....it will pass (no pun intended)

Good luck and hang in there. It gets better

Derek
I'm 2 weeks past takedown. My biggest issue is the spasms and gas. They absolutely suck, but they have gone down quite a bit for me so I think I'm progressing. The next issue is sleep. Its hard to get. I sleep for about 2 hours at most. Third issue is butt burn. Calmoseptine is great. I think I would've scratched my ******* off by now if I didn't have that stuff. We have to stay positive and assume things will get better. I wish I could say I only go 5 times a day. I'm probably in the 9 to 12 range myself. Good luck to you!
quote:
Hi Derek
Thanks for the reply
I have only had 5 bowel movements in 2-3 days so happy with the way things are progressing

The pain has dropped off heaps and the spams are now bearable so relieved right now

Have my staples out on Monday that should be fun :/

No problem at all. Glad to hear you are doing better.

Just watch food, drink lots of water or gatoraid, and walk. Exercise is really good for the gas as well.

Best to you

Derek
Thanks guys yes I dont eat junk or sugar as hubby us diabetic, normally fruit veg and high fiber diet,but not over doing the fiber right now only been out of hospital 3 days so not going to push my luck.
I feel your pain Blake the spams are shocking I'm so glad I found this site I knew nothing about how the j pouch would react my surgeon was not very helpful in that area of information
Will start exercising in the next few days my incision is still quite sore so dont want to pull on the staples to much they had to make about a 15cm cut apparently this is quite large due to fissure
Thanks for helping me feel better Smiler

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.