Skip to main content

Just an update in case others like to read them. I like reading other people's updates who are in front of me so here it is.

I seem to be progressing pretty decent. I'm having around 9 to 12 BM's a day. It's very tricky to count them though. I could go less or I could go more. It just depends on my day. I don't have to go that often but sometimes I go because I'm about to leave and I want to empty before I go out. It's not nessesarily that I really have to go.

I'm up 2 to 3 times a night but again I think it's more that I don't want an accident rather than I really have to go. Lately I've been trying to train myself to just go back to sleep rather than get up and go unless I really have to go.

I'm eating 3 times a day. I have a shake in the morning, a healthy lunch like hard boiled eggs, yogurt, almond butter, and a banana for example. I usually eat chicken or eggs and a side for dinner. The last couple weeks I've been trying to add new foods and I'm not having any issues yet. I've been eating peanuts and cashews and loving them. Tonight I had polish sausage, sauerkraut, carrots, and potatoes and it went down pretty good.

My only issues right now are the following. I'm having a lot of cramping. I could have just used the bathroom and I'll get these super intense spasms that last like 5 seconds then they go away. Sometimes I feel like I'm not emptying my bladder all the way and that's why I'm cramping but I don't know for sure. As far as the cramping is concerned it's not all the time. Some days I do great and other days I have these spasms/cramps a lot. They seem to be getting better though.

My other issue is that when I really strain I have bleeding. I've only had a lot of blood once or twice but I've had spots of blood on the to lots of times. It's directly related to straining. So naturally I'm trying to teach myself not to strain as much and the last few days I seem to be getting a handle on it.

Other than that things are ok. I plan on starting to work out again next week so I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully at the 10 week mark I'll be doing better than I am now.

I just figured I'd post this in case any future jpouches want to see my experience so far.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am so happy to hear you are doing better! I waited about 8 weeks to start Ballet again after takedown, I did fine! I could not do certain stuff until much later though, listen to your body!

Please teach yourself not to strain dear. Straining can lead to: hemorrhoids, bladder prolapse, J-pouch prolapse, and damage to rectal cuff, so definitely be careful and do not strain dear. A lot of people here have shared their stories about what happens to them when they strain. Be careful and I hope you continuously get better

If you start having 14bms everyday, you are in the 9%er family and we will welcome you with open arms But I think you will not be a 9%er in the long run so you should be good

I think Bentyl will help the spasms, maybe you should mention that to your doctor.

I see you are having a shake that probably has milk in it; were you ever lactose intolerant???

Last edited by Lauren Of Emerald City

I am so happy to hear you are doing better! I waited about 8 weeks to start Ballet again after takedown, I did fine! I could not do certain stuff until much later though, listen to your body!

Please teach yourself not to strain dear. Straining can lead to: hemorrhoids, bladder prolapse, J-pouch prolapse, and damage to rectal cuff, so definitely be careful and do not strain dear. A lot of people here have shared their stories about what happens to them when they strain. Be careful and I hope you continuously get better

If you start having 14bms everyday, you are in the 9%er family and we will welcome you with open arms But I think you will not be a 9%er in the long run so you should be good

I think Bentyl will help the spasms, maybe you should mention that to your doctor.

I see you are having a shake that probably has milk in it; were you ever lactose intolerant???

No milk in it. Just protein, bcaa, liquid iv, collegen, multi vitamin, vitamin c, and probiotics

@Jaydog glad to hear you are progressing! At 10 months I still have good days and bad days but continue to improve. I've been able to eat a variety of foods, which has been good because I struggle to get my weight up. Right now I'm 5'7 and about 118, would love to hit 130! I was scoped last month and showed some cuffitis so still fighting that. As for straining, I've read on here not to but I know it's very difficult not to and sometimes almost involuntary on those bad days. I will say my spasms are pretty much gone now but had them early on, probably until about month 4. Hope you continue to improve. Now if only we could find a miracle cure for gas.

@Kmiller posted:

@Jaydog glad to hear you are progressing! At 10 months I still have good days and bad days but continue to improve. I've been able to eat a variety of foods, which has been good because I struggle to get my weight up. Right now I'm 5'7 and about 118, would love to hit 130! I was scoped last month and showed some cuffitis so still fighting that. As for straining, I've read on here not to but I know it's very difficult not to and sometimes almost involuntary on those bad days. I will say my spasms are pretty much gone now but had them early on, probably until about month 4. Hope you continue to improve. Now if only we could find a miracle cure for gas.

Fortunately gas isn't a huge problem for me. About 2 weeks ago I started passing gas on my own. It's scary because I always feel like I might have an accident but so far I'm doing pretty good with it.

That sounds yummy! The probiotics are especially an excellent idea since we J-pouchers are more exposed to pouchitis, I never had it fortunately lol. What is that shake called???

It's called the jaydog special lol. No name it's just a bunch of healthy stuff I throw together every morning. I also take fish oil, d3, b12. And I just started taking digestive enzymes before my meals to see how that works.

I'm at week 7 and most of my problems are me self sabotaging over the holidays I've been trying to drink beer but the gas and bloating makes it not worth it.Its getting hard to hang out with my friends as we all enjoy a few beers but now I cant drink it and it makes going out boring but cheap as I just drink water ,so I go home feeling bored but hydrated .I bought a small backpack that I take anywhere with a bidet bottle and calmoseptine .

And also people think I'm normal again but I don't like telling them I will never be normal.I think this is going to be a big lifestyle change but I think it's a good thing.

@Former Member posted:

I'm at week 7 and most of my problems are me self sabotaging over the holidays I've been trying to drink beer but the gas and bloating makes it not worth it.Its getting hard to hang out with my friends as we all enjoy a few beers but now I cant drink it and it makes going out boring but cheap as I just drink water ,so I go home feeling bored but hydrated .I bought a small backpack that I take anywhere with a bidet bottle and calmoseptine .

And also people think I'm normal again but I don't like telling them I will never be normal.I think this is going to be a big lifestyle change but I think it's a good thing.

Drinking ain't all it's cracked up to be anyways. I used to drink all the time but I quit. I quit before I ever got sick. Now it's no big deal. Nothing wrong with being healthy.

Yeah I won't be drinking beer again.peppermint tea helps so much with the gas.and I haven't had spasms or cramps but if I hold on to long the area where my stoma was would hurt like stabbing pain but that's gone now.its frustrating as it's a slow recovery with ups and downs.and it's also frustrating how little there is online or stories of other people so you don't know what's going on.I remember having chicken pox and they gave me a sheet of paper with a timeline of symptoms and day by day what to expect.

@Former Member posted:

Yeah I won't be drinking beer again.peppermint tea helps so much with the gas.and I haven't had spasms or cramps but if I hold on to long the area where my stoma was would hurt like stabbing pain but that's gone now.its frustrating as it's a slow recovery with ups and downs.and it's also frustrating how little there is online or stories of other people so you don't know what's going on.I remember having chicken pox and they gave me a sheet of paper with a timeline of symptoms and day by day what to expect.

Ya it's different from person to person. I'm 5 weeks out and so far I'm doing ok. It's far from perfect but not bad. I had some pizza tonight and now I'm paying the price

@Former Member posted:

Yeah pizza got me on the first week because it's hard to have just two slices.

Beer,pizza and cheesecake have all got me because of having too much.

This jpouch is like a built in personal trainer that punishes you.

I totally agree! I am a firm believer that Alcohol is a big no no, especially when it comes to IBD people, FAP people, and Cancer people. I have not drank in almost 7 years; I never drank with my J-pouch and I never plan on it. I am trying to keep my J-pouch forever if I can. I am glad you and JayDog gave up drinking too

If they are your real friends, they will not mind that you cannot drink, if someone starts to pressure you into doing so then definitely drop them as a friend. I did not use my strength to drop people back then but I definitely use my strength now.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.