Skip to main content

Hi all, I know I have been on this website religiously for the last 5 weeks posting forums, pm some of you with questions and hopefully helping some of you with the answers I can provide. If I can explain how the end of my last week to the beginning of this week compare... I could only say 360! My life has done a complete 360, so last week I was dealing with all the "normal" post takedown issues such as urgency, nightime leakage, gas pain, anal itching and butt burn... All this considered I hadn't left my house in 13 days.. then I was invited out for a friends b day party, at first I declined (scared of having an accident being away from my bathroom) but with some heavy convincing, I decided to go for an hour or two... Turns out I stayed for 8 hours with one bathroom trip and no accidents or urgency! It was a great day overall... Fast forward to Tuesday, I had my 2nd post op appt with my surgeon I expressed my concerns from the previous week and to my surprise his answer for everything was.... I need to get out of the house, so I can take my mind off my recovery and socialize so I can start feeling normal again.. he even insisted I go back to my gym with a 30 lb weight restriction... So needless to say the following day (Wed) I spent time with the family by going out to a nice dinner and I followed that up with my first trip (in 6 months) to my favorite place in the world.. my local gym!!! Even though I only worked out for 45 min (as opposed to the 2-3 hours pre colectomy) it was nice seeing friends and familiar faces and most importantly I felt human again.. like I had a piece of my life back... As corny as this may sound I feel like my soul has been reborn... So when people say to take this recovery week to week or month to month and not day by day... Listen because you will see the changes and improvements clearly... No more wondering if the sun will come out tomorrow because I will be out living my life and enjoying its beautiful light

Manny
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Awesome news Manny! Congratulations on turning that corner we kept telling you about.

Just don't be floating so high that you get bruised when there are some setbacks. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it is also common for people to get depressed because everything was great, then fell apart. The point is that this first year is highlighted by some ups and downs. If you expect a few setbacks, they are not so frustrating. We tend to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out what we ate or did to cause a sudden increase in output or gas, when it could be any number of things that have nothing to do with anything we did or didn't do.

I guess it sort of messes with your mind when you think you have it all figured out, but random things still keep happening. If you just try to roll with it, it works out better.

Looking back is always easier than looking forward to the unknown. Just remember that most of the time things eventually get pretty darn good!

Jan Smiler
Thank you so much for the positivity everyone and Jan I completely understand what you are saying... I don't want to get too excited because if something should come about... It will be that much harder to accept... I know I'm not completely out of the woods but it feels good to have a small piece of my life back... As I've heard a billion times before and if anyone is reading this that's contemplating having their colon removed... Just know their is life after surgery and the way its beginning to look its going to be a pretty darn good one! Thanks again everyone!
I'm pretty much 8 weeks post op now and have to say I'm a little bit jealous! Haha but I think there's something in the actually getting out the house method! I'd looove to have the confidence to go out for dinner but that's the time my pouch like to be quite active and I'd be too embarressed to use a public bathroom cause boy it's generally loud!! I don't tend to go to the toilet from mid morning til about dinner however so maybe I just need to pluck up the courage and get out there!

Steph xoxo
Stephanie, I can totally relate to the hesitation... But you have to remember we can't stop living our lives, this surgery was performed so we can live our lives to the fullest and for us to feel as close to "normal" as possible... Few tricks that have worked for me... 1-2 Imodium pill/s before each meal, citricul for a fiber content to thicken output twice daily (1 tbsp in the morning and one before bed) and this also helps with gas as opposed to metamucil... And just really monitor what your eating.. know what works for you... I'm sure over time our bodies will adapt and we will be able to tolerate food we can't right now... Its all a waiting game but it doesn't mean we have to put our life on hold... Go out, have fun and enjoy your new pouch... And btw ill trade a few weird looks in a public bathroom for my noisy pouch over my ulcerative colitis any day of the week :-)
Best of luck to you!
I'm in the uk and I think maybe the doctors here are a but different because they've told me I shouldn't take immodium or anything to slow out put unless its an emergency but I notice alot Of you guys take it in the us!
I never really had To deal with UC because I got dignosed and an ileostomy all in the space of about 5 weeks! So it's all quite new! I miss my wee bag! Haha I only go about 5 times during the day and about 3 durin the night so to be honest it's not like I'm always at the loo I just freak out in public! But I'm sure when I can hold it in a bit better il not be so anxious! Thank you for the advice!

Steph xoxo
Hey Manny its great to hear how great your doing early in the game and the positive outlook you have in life. I do agree with Jan about not getting ahead of yourself because I have felt the same way earlier in my recovery and then had some negative things happen and it changed my attitude a little bit. Its a crazy rollercoaster ride and I think my surgeon was right when he told me it was gonna take about a year to feel like yourself again. You still have a lot of time to go but your right measuring in weeks and months is the smarter way to go about it. I am happy to report at about 7 months post takedown I'm starting to have that "normal" feeling again and taking the good with the bad. I have accepted this new lifestyle and some of the inconveniences that come along with it and assure myself this was the right decision for me. Going out and doing things that you used to a living your life like you did preop is the best thing for you. The distractions of life definitely take you away of thinking about your pouch all the time. I noticed it helps in ways of reducing bathroom trips and when you are ready to go things go so much smoother. Keep your head up my friends and stay positive you are on the path to a wonderful life. Good Luck.
Thank you for your post Manny, glad you're doing better and getting back to your life! My husband had his take down surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and this is what he needed to hear to help give him a little boost! :-) We know there will be more ups and downs along the way but it's so nice to hear positive updates and tips to help us get through the downs.
Thanks again!

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.