Skip to main content

So nervous and excited for my takedown scheduled for Wed 9/14. Can anyone answer some I f my questions? How long did it take for your bowels to wake up? Did your incision cause a lot of pain? How often did you go to restroom in the beginning and are you in there for a long time like in the UC/Chrohns days? Thanks for any responses! 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It took one day after surgery.  Incision site was sore for a few days, left hospital with Tylenol, never needed anything stronger.  In the beginning I was making about 10 trips to bathroom, not too long, especially because more liquid stools, but that will change.  Now, I am about 6 weeks out and time spent in bathroom is about 5-10 mins.  I also have a bidet so that adds some time.  Also, at this point, about 4-5 trips a day, including one at night/early morning, usually coincides with cats waking me up anyway.  Also, I did have some nausea and vomiting in the hospital, not a lot.  Went in on a Monday and was discharged on Thursday.  Good luck!  

Hello, Goofeegutz.

My innards woke up in two days. Expect gas pain as the gas moves around inside you. Much like your first surgery. Walk the halls as often as you can, as soon as you are able. I walked day and night, especially at night when I couldn't sleep and the halls were quiet. Walking will help wake up the bowel and when you are able to pass gas they will give you something to eat, not until then. I was not allowed fluids or food until gas was passed, not even ice chips; IV fluids only.

If you feel nauseous tell your nursing team and ask them for anti nausea medication (through your IV). They will do anything to stop you vomiting. The first stool you pass will probably be green bile. A lot. Don't be shocked at this. As you begin to eat soft food in hospital your stool will change. I asked for an egg salad sandwich on white bread for the protein and easily digested. It tasted wonderful because I was starving. IV pain management was stopped on my third day. Home on fifth day because of adhesion complications. I took Tylenol extra strength even though I was sent home with morphine Diluadid. Bathroom up to six times a day the first week at home. At home try to eat soft, easily digestible foods that will be gentle on your new-born j pouch. Keep a bottle of water in every room so you remember to drink. Take naps if you can. Your body has been through a lot. Eat lots of protein food to help your tissues heal. Stock up on barrier cream and a bidet, whether a plastic one or an attachment on the toilet, and use Every Time you go. These two items will save your life from bum burn. Good luck to you!

I went down for my surgery around 7/8 am on the morning and had my first bm at 11pm on that same night, after my first bm I was going around every 3 hours after that, I was in the bathroom for like 5 minutes its nothing like having ulcerative colitis I had no urgency to go . 

The incision site didn't really hurt after the operation but I did have some gas pains but once I learned how to pass gas then I was in no pain what so ever, I stopped taking pain killers 3 days after the operation. 

Good luck for your operation man ! 

Takedown was very easy for me, much easier than Step 1!  In my case I had to ensure I told the doctor that I am prone to vomiting after surgery and they did well to manage that, but I'd be proactive when you talk to the anesthetist before surgery.  Also, I asked them to keep in my nose-tube (NG tube) because I had a prior surgery where they took it out prematurely and it's my least favorite thing ever (!) to have it put back in after I had issues and when I was awake!   To me, having the NG tube in as a vomit safety precaution is well worth it for a day.  I honestly never needed pain meds. The incision was nothing more than sore, and I could handle it pretty easily.  You're going to be so excited to pass gas or -- poop in the bed!  (I thought it was great, but the nurses couldn't understand my excitement!)   Take it slow and best wishes!  

Surgery went well. First day was a little rough but each day got better. Bowels woke up the second night. Thanks for the gas warnings that's prob the worst of the pain. Incisision site is not too bad didn't ask for any pain meds. Waiting to be discharged now Day 4. Afraid to pass gas in bed cause stuff will come out! Lol any tips??

Goofeegutz posted:

Surgery went well. First day was a little rough but each day got better. Bowels woke up the second night. Thanks for the gas warnings that's prob the worst of the pain. Incisision site is not too bad didn't ask for any pain meds. Waiting to be discharged now Day 4. Afraid to pass gas in bed cause stuff will come out! Lol any tips??

Good news! So what did you do to help get your bowel working again?

@JordySimo all I did was walk the halls a few times throughout the day. It helped a lot with the gas bubbles too because I kept burping all day!  Thanks I did get some heavy duty pads to wear at night just in case of leakage or accident. I'm just started to experience the "butt burn" ouch! I have a handheld bidet need to get better practice with it and using calmoseptine cream. 

Goofeegutz posted:

@JordySimo all I did was walk the halls a few times throughout the day. It helped a lot with the gas bubbles too because I kept burping all day!  Thanks I did get some heavy duty pads to wear at night just in case of leakage or accident. I'm just started to experience the "butt burn" ouch! I have a handheld bidet need to get better practice with it and using calmoseptine cream. 

Yeah that's what I did after my first op just walk a bit but luckily my bowels didn't go into shock after my second operation (somehow). So no nausea or anything?

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.