Skip to main content

I am just about 3+ weeks out from takedown with a 3 part re-do pouch. I had an ileostomy for about 16 months throughout this process.

It took my guts about 3 days to start passing a little in the hospital and I had horrendous bloating, and one night of vomiting. I was drinking more than my guts could handle at the time. They did 2 X-rays to check things out and said intestines looked distended but I guess no obstruction. I have had no other nausea or vomiting since. I was distended in the hospital (and a few days after) and doing lots and lots of walking to get things moving. I had only a few relieving bowel movements about 6-7 days out but have otherwise been dealing with trouble emptying. I'm only going to the bathroom 2-3x/day (not at all overnight) and it is near impossible without prune juice. I have no urgency or pain. I just feel the pressure build up throughout the day and around 5 pm I feel like I need to go and nada - maybe a few specks of stool. No gas movement behind it to push things out. I can sometimes squeeze a little more out but don't want to strain. My stools are not hard - definitely a mushy consistency - but I literally cannot empty without drinking a little prune juice in the evening for the laxative effect (which gives me relief within an hour). My surgeon does not seem concerned and put me back on a full liquid diet the past 6 days assuming prolonged ileus, but even on full liquids I have had to resort to prune juice to empty (clear liquids seem fine but anything thicker - like a blended soup or protein shake - not so much). I'm drinking a ton of water and walking a lot. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Are my guts just slow to fully wake up? Bacterial imbalances causing the bloating and trouble emptying? Any suggestions or support is really appreciated. Currently very tired, hungry, frustrated and worried.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Do you have a NG tube in? If it were me, I’d ask for a rectal tube to drain you out from the bottom, and get on antibiotics (for me Levaquin and Flagyl). This happened to me post takedown and I wish I had this group back then. Once they drained me and after antibiotics, I cleared up. Very similar thing happened to me last week. I was scoped and through that drained out and the relief was great. Not to say this is what is going on with you, but this is a low risk way to confirm. Antibiotics and quick drain of your pouch. If you don’t have a NG tube and are not vomiting or going to the bathroom, then you have a lot of junk sitting in your body.

Last edited by DJJ2019

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.