Skip to main content

Hey, so at 18 I ended up having emergency surgery and having an ileostomy, never having suffered from UC before this point! I got so ill I ended up keeping my bag for 4 years too scared to make myself sick again and go for the j-pouch.
So now it's been 3 weeks and 1 day since they fashioned my pouch and sorted my plumbing! For the first 2 weeks I was going to the toilet like 25 times a day, up all night at the toilet just completely miserable! I'm slowly starting to see things might be getting better I've started keeping a note of how often I'm going and it's more like 15 times a day but it's still a misery!! Please tell me it gets better?!

I've read so many horror stories I get really worried it will never get better! I've only done 3 weeks of this and I'm not sure I could do it for much longer! Let alone years like its seemed to be for some people!

Thanks for reading! Steph xoxo
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

it does get better, one of the first things i did was i actually stopped keeping track of how often i went to the bathroom..to look at a list of times so long really depressed and you dont need that during all of this.
I suffered with the up so much at night, was so sleep deprived i do not know how i functioned in the beginning of going back to work, but i am 3 months post op now and my average day is i get up between 2-3 times a night, sometimes its only one! i firmly believe i can end up sleeping through the night again soon, i get up out of bed at 7:00, eat, shower, off to work where i go to the bathroom probably around 10:30ish on average, i may or may not go again till i am home around 3:30, once i am home depending on what i do determines the rest of the day, i will go between 3-5 times, could be less now, i really dont bother with wanting to know how many times again because it can get depressing. I have some days where i suddenly stop what i am doing and say to myself "****...i feel normal, like nothing was done to me" and it is the greatest feeling since this all went down. There most certainly is light at the end of your tunnel and this site is great for reassurance of that...beware that reading so much of some of the bad things here could make you feel worse off as well.
I was not prescribed medication until 2 months post TD. The number of BM movements was too high per my surgeon and he wanted me to be at about 4-6 per day. Also, my "spasms" were very debilitating.

I am now at 4 months post TD and I average 4-6 BM movements per day. Most of my movements are at night and about 2 in the AM. Depends on what I eat - Dairy is the worst thing for me. Doesn't stop me from eating it, but I pay for it later.

I take bentyl and lomitol twice per day and it has helped me tremendously!
Three weeks out is still early days, so please be patient with your new pouch (easier said than done, right?). I suggest telling your surgeon about your frequency and any other issues you may be having with your new plumbing, and ask if he can recommend something to slow your bowels. Also make sure you're getting enough liquids/electrolytes. Many patients have a rough time their first 2-3 months post-op. Good luck!

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.