Skip to main content

I was just released from the hospital last night after 3+ weeks there. I had a blockage that they tried to make clear on its own; it didn’t, so they did surgery to remove the adhesion; I had ileus post-surgery and it took 10 days before Bowel function began to return (so I had the dreaded NG tube almost the entire time I was there). I felt good when I was leaving there, but I have no appetite today and am very weak and lethargic. I’ve been drinking Gatorade/water, Pedialyte, Ensure but my stomach/intestine is rumbling like crazy. I fear I’m getting dehydrated and malnourished and don’t know what to do. I have a small rash on my abdomen (don’t know if it’s just from dry skin but it’s new today). My output is still very liquidy. I have small oozing spot on my incision that the nurse said (after discussing with the surgeon) wasn’t to be concerned about. I would just appreciate any feedback/suggestions for my condition. I’d obviously love to not have to go to the ER yet AGAIN!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you can drink water/Gatorade etc. and keep it down, keep doing that.  Do not get dehydrated, it will make things much worse.  An ER visit may be good to get an IV for liquids and electrolytes.  I'm coming off a hospital stay myself and I can empathize with you.  Keep hydrating, get an IV if need be.  I hope you feel well soon.

You need to eat, as well as drink fluids. If you are feeling weak, dizzy, disoriented, shaky, have headaches, or are lethargic, you need to eat proper food. Try something high protein but easy for your depleted system to digest. Try soft boiled egg, or toast with organic nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter), or make tuna salad on toast, topped with melted cheese. Add extra salt on your food for now.

You can hydrate with fresh fruit, too. Have an orange, or peach, or watermelon. Make smoothies using fruits or vegetables with soy milk or almond milk, or coconut water. Just stay away from pineapple for now, and anything with raw skin or raw peel. Good luck.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.