Skip to main content

today I have my first hangover. Been taking it easy with alcohol but last night was a friends birthday and I got a bit carried away. Quite a few gin and tonics, a couple of zambuka shots and one vodka shot.

Have to say although my head is a little sore the pouch has held up nicely. Not planning on doing this on a regular basis but it's nice to know I can have a night out without worrying about the pouch.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm 3 weeks post take down, and I'm doing pretty much anything I want.  Still dealing with the stoma site wound......it's healing, but ever so slowly.  It doesn't stop me from going out, though.  Also still dealing with the "up inside" itch, but really only after eating BBQ, and even then it's not significant (I've never scratched).  So, after 3-4 months are you guys eating spicy foods without the itch creeping in later on?  I'm only going 5x/24 hr's, which I'm totally fine with, and I feel like when the surgeon eliminates the lifting restriction I can consider this done and done.

I started working out 6 weeks post takedown. I wear a hernia belt just as a precaution. Started slow but now training at full capacity. I lift weights, do full contact boxing sparring and have played football tennis and volleyball with no problems.

I am careful with spicey foods but it seems to be less of a problem. I still apply calmoseptine every now and then. My frequency is about 8 times I think but I have a healthy appetite and drink a few coffees a day

Yea, I can't wait to start lifting again.  I've got about 30 lbs to get back.  Follow up #2 with the surgeon is 3 weeks from today, and that'll put me 6 weeks post take down.  I think she'll tell me it's o.k. to start training again.  Did you guys have any weirdness with the stoma site?  Mine is healing nicely, but I've got a divot that's big enough to get the end of my pinky finger in.  No one seems concerned about it, but I'm afraid it'll heal like this, and I'll essentially have another navel beside my navel.  I'm not beyond a cosmetic fix if it looks really strange.....which I'll be surprised if it doesn't.  

It took about 6 weeks for the wound to fully heal and for the discharge to stop. I do have an indent around the Stoma site and a very slight bulge above it but it's not very noticeable. I have a round scar there but I like it, it looks like a bullet wound and its a nice reminder to me of what I've been through. I happily went topless by the pool and beach on my holiday last week.

I had my takedown on 10/27/14 and was cleared to start working out right around Christmas, but I had a complication, and they had to re-open the midline incision after the takedown to fix it.

Frequency is still pretty variable 6 months and change later, but it's always pretty manageable.  I seem to cluster in the morning, waking up around 5 or 6, then have to go again between 8 and 9, sometimes a third time in that window.

After that, it's usualy once or twice during the work day, after dinner and before bed.  If I eat something that's not quite in agreement, it goes up, and I've been dealing with some pretty serious gas issues these last few weeks that have increased frequency a lot, simply because I can't pass gas off the toilet, so in order to get it out, I have to hit the restroom, and whatever's up there with the gas comes on out too.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.