Skip to main content

So the surgery didn't go quite as planned. It was supposed to take an hour and instead took 4 due to a very large amount of scar tissue they had to cut out. Nobody can prepare you for the physical or even mental/emotional change that comes along with the surgery. So far I have about 6 bms during the day and 4 small ones at night. I hope someday I will be able to sleep through the night. I am having a lot of rectal pain. Everyone warned me about "butt burn" which I have but I also have rectal pain and urgency like when i had UC. I know its not pouchitis because i don't have a fever or blood. Now for the emotional. I am having a hard time dealing with my "new" body. I am afraid to be too far from the bathroom and not keen on having visitors come over in case I have to run to the bathroom. Which the bms have been pretty noise with gas. Is anyone else having similar problems? My family, friends, and fiancè are trying to be so supportive but they don't have any clue what I am going through.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

yes yes yes and yes. im 6 weeks out and having all that and breakdown emotionally quite often. its is a hellish existence but in the end we will be fine. you are most definitely not alone. i take one imodium every 6 hours for the butt activity and i use calmoseptine for the burn. you might find like me that the biggest problem is gas. if not for gas i wouldnt be that active. im starting pepto as it acts as a mild broad spectrum antibiotic and as of tonight i now believe were all susceptible to bacterial overgrowth now causing massive excess gas.
Yes gas is the worst thing in the world and the only way we can pass it is to have a bm. I am going to start back on the Imodium today. The percocets definitely helped with slowing down my system. Binghamton is about an hour south of Syracuse NY. The doctors in my hometown wouldn't do the surgery so i had to go to the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. My surgeon there has been amazing even though my body hasn't been very compliant.
Ohh OK that makes sense then. Either place is amazing for our type of surgery. The other problem I am having is that my surgeon only gave me 30 percocets and since I have to take 2 at a time I go through them quickly. The only time I feel alright is on the percocets and they won't give me any more. Have you found anything else that works well for the pain? My stoma hole hasn't closed up yet and between that and the rectal pain I am pretty uncomfortable.
can you get more pain drugs from your local PCP. Or call your surgeon's office at CC and they will mail you a script. Do it today though so they can get it out before the weekend.

Also fyi.. pouchitis does not usually have blood or fevers. But what you are going through definitely sounds normal just 2weeks after surgery. hang in there but get some more percocets so you won't worry about the pain.
It does sound like what you are experiencing is very normal. I don't have much time under my belt yet post take-down at just a little over four weeks, but the first couple of weeks the gas pains were worse than they are now. I'm currently experimenting with gas-x and pepto to figure out what time of day and dosing works best for me. I feel like I get a little closer to figuring it out every day. Laying on my back allows me to release gas without needing to use the restroom. Laying in my recliner at night watching TV or using my laptop is becoming one of my favorite activities as it allows me to let go of a lot of gas before I go to bed. Also, I'm using the restroom less now, too. Just remember that you are very early in your recovery/healing, and it will get better in time. I get excited because I think I'm doing pretty well so far, and I know it will only get better from here based on the majority of what veteran jpouchers say on this forum.

My stoma site is closed now, but it is still sore. I'm not taking anything for it, but I wonder if alternating ibuprofen and extra strength tylenol until you can get some more of your pain meds will help take the edge off. I'm not a medical professional, so please consult with your doctors first.

Best wishes!
2 mgs of dilaudid for me and my primary doc prescribes it for me cause ive been very responsible should i need it over the years. for me the beauty of pain meds is their side affects suck so i race to get off them. my stoma has closed too after 6 weeks but everything youre talking about is completely normal. i will stand by what i said. if it werent for gas this would be a breeze. damn gas is the devil i tell ya. i would probably go 2 to 3 times of day if it wasnt for this gas stabbing me hourly. im hoping that chills with time...
It has been getting a little bit easier with time. I started having muscle aches and running a slight fever so my surgeon put me on augmentian or however you spell it because he thinks I might have some pouchitis. Hopefully this will help! Thanks for all of the advice! Its so nice to finally not feel alone in all of this.
At week 5-6 I started to notice an improvement. I was able to sleep through the night twice so far without having to get up. I started being able to fart again. Two nights ago I actually made a fart noise and it was long! LOL

In bed this morning, I tried farting and pooped myself at 6am. Frowner

Two steps forward and one step back is still forward movement!

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.