Skip to main content

Today is my 15th Anniversary for my j-pouch. When I was sick with UC 15 years ago, I was struggling to make it from one to the next. I asked Dr. Harris how look the pouch would last and he said some people had them for over 20 years! I couldn't even envision 20 years ahead! I was just trying to survive that day!!!
I don't often get to come on the website but I want to thank Jan for answering my questions over the years. In the last 15, I have had a few issues with pouchitis but I have gotten my teaching degree, met my husband, married and had a healthy girl. I don't mean to boast but I want some of you out there to understand there is a light at the end of the tunnel. (i am crying now), There will come a day when you won't define yourself by your illness. and you won't think of your illness the first minute you wake up and the last minute you go to bed. And you will go on to live a relatively normal life. For those of you with new pouches...I hope the next 15 years are filled with many blessings. Joanna
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Your post made me tear up too!
As the mother of a child with a jpouch I just hope and pray that he will have a life that isn't defined by illness. I know and accept that he will always have to deal with "issues" that come from not having his colon but it is my greatest hope that he has a fulfilling life and that he feels he can accomplish anything he sets his mind to - be it career wise or family.
It warms my heart to read your post
Thank you
Amy
wow! congrats, that is great! i am still new to the j-pouch (almost 2 months). it is definitely a struggle and I can relate to still "thinking of your illness the first minute you wake up and the last minute you go to bed." one day, i hope to forget for a while!

as a paranoid newbie Big Grin, i like to hear from veterans that are doing so well and come back to report! here's to many more great years!

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.