Skip to main content

15 weeks after take down, I'm taking opium tincture (1.5ml 3 times a day) and I pop 2 lomotil 4 times a day around that.

Still having 20+ BMs in 24 hours, which includes 4-7 times a night, can't do much "active" in the day other than walk the (small) dog for fear of leakage, and now having blood more or less daily on toilet paper. Was told to try metamucil, so had a teaspoon of the orange flavored stuff in water before lunch today, but so far has just reminded me of colonoscopy preps!

Surgeon has told me to give the metamucil a try for a couple of days, and has prescribed cipro if that doesn't work. Can't be cuffitis as there's no cuff. He doesn't think it would be pouchitis at this stage.

Any advice that goes beyond "tough it out"? Or is this just how it's going to be for me for a while? 

Am 44 and had UC for 25 years before being diagnosed with rectal cancer a year ago, leading to chemo and radiation prior to the surgeries which may not have helped matters.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

How could you have *no* cuff?  Some rectal ring has to be kept to attach the pouch to.

What is your diet like/what are you eating? 

You actually can get pouchitis at any time, even when diverted or immediately after surgery. If nothing is working, and you exhaust all the things to slow stuff down, I wouldn't think it crazy to try a round of Flagyl or Cipro. (I see you do have Cipro to try.)
Last edited by rachelraven

Am eating sensibly as advised. Lots of white bread, potatoes, rice, peanut butter or cream cheese sandwiches, sometimes yogurt, eggs, and soft meat, that kind of thing.

As for the cuff issue, I'm just repeating what the surgeon told me. I know that my case was "interesting" (something you never want to be in a medical context), given how low down the tumor was, so they probably leave barely anything there and strip it, lowering the chances of cuffitis to something like 5% apparently.

Your diet may not matter much, but if it does it will need a lot more careful experimentation. The word "sensible" is misleading here - what matters it what seems to work best for you. Not everyone thrives on the fairly high level of carbohydrates you're eating.

That's an awful lot of bowel slowers. Are you sure they're doing you any good? At that dose of opium + Lomotil you've more than maxed out that benefit, I think.

In my early months I was encouraged to "stretch the pouch." This involved delaying bathroom trips a bit even when going immediately would have been more comfortable. Are you able to hold it a bit, or will you promptly have an accident? If you can't hold it, one thing you can do is many, many kegels, to tone up the anal sphincter. If you really have no rectal cuff then you may have had a hand-sewn procedure, and the risk of incontinence is higher with such a procedure. Your sphincter is your last line of defense.

If stool is coming out too liquid then a thickener should help, making your sphincter's job easier. Psyllium (Metamucil or Konsyl) works for me, but others get better results from Benefiber or Citrucel. 

Cipro is probably worth a try. The good news is that it usually works surprisingly quickly if it's going to work - a day or two.

Don't make too many changes at once, or you won't know what probably caused whatever effect you see. Good luck!

Last edited by Scott F

If I was guessing and I am, I would guess you probably have several things going on. You should get scoped to see if it is pouchitis and or a mechanical issue such as a stricture, surgical issue or something else.  It sounds like the surgeon had difficulties and these J pouches need to be constructed properly to work correctly.  I would guess the radiation is  a factor and the more or less direct connect to the anus, both of these can be problematic for good function. 

Not to discourage you but our case histories are very similar though I am older, UC 25 years, rectal cancer, chemo radiation, J pouch surgical difficulties. Your problems seem worse than mine were, too early for you but I eventually went back to an end ileo.  Tincture of Opium really did help me and at what seems a lower dose, .6 ml. ( are you sure you have the dose right?) Get the scope and see what is going on, good luck

Thanks for all the responses on this.

I'm from the UK originally and came to NY 8 years ago, so I'm still a bit English in the "don't make a fuss" and "stiff upper lip" sense. I realize that it's still relatively early days, so don't want to panic too early or anything, but I just get the feeling that with everything I'm taking, I should be seeing some sort of small improvement by now.

If the metamucil and cipro don't work, I'll go for the scope.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.