Skip to main content

...and I am EXHAUSTED. I did a 3 part surgery (plus one extra surgery after the subtotal colectomy due to "surgical error" so 4 surgeries in the last 6.5 months) and I am just NOT bouncing back AT ALL. I was in the hospital for 9 days- no vomiting or NG tubes, just really slow motility, which is still kind of the case- having a CT scan next week. I take a weekly b12 shot, am taking multi vitamins and iron eating a low fiber high protein diet yet I am just 10000% zapped. Of course I didn't expect to be back to "normal" by now, but I am barely able to get out of bed and do basic things. I have some pretty significant cramping/pain & butt burn from my new J Pouch, but I am actually only going about 5-6 during the day and 3-4 at night, so I am not dehydrated and pretty used to the middle of the night regime from emptying my ostomy bag. I will say I am still trying to get off the steroids (was prednisone and now dexamethazone) after 2 rounds of adrenal failure which I think might be playing a big role, but I wanted to get some feedback since I am am planning to go back to work tomorrow (from home) yet I am literally not getting out of bed. THANKS ALL!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Certainly, the surgeries do knock the pep out of you. It can take months and months to get your vigor back. Adrenal insufficiency just piles on top of it all. I was coming off of long term, high dose steroids post op and could barely lift my legs to go up three steps. But, I never was diagnosed with insufficiency. It does take time for your adrenals to kick in and the only way to get there is to have a low cortisol level to stimulate your pituitary. Sometimes (rarely) they don't come back, or it takes a long time. Hopefully, that's not the case with you and things turn around soon.

Took me a year to get my stamina back.

Jan

Thank you guys, I agree that the combo of surgeries and adrenal insufficiency is a really tough one to bounce back from. The encouragement means the wold, and any tips to help get my energy back would be AMAZING! Without an appt or NEED to leave the apartment it feels like I could easily stay all day, yet I always feel better once I get outside, hmmm. 

I'd like to say there was some vitamin, diet, or exercise regimen to speed up this process or make it easier to deal with. But, unfortunately it is time and patience that is needed. 

Forcing yourself to go out, feel sun on your face, interact with others, etc. does help. It does not speed up the process, but does help get your hormones pumping and your brain working. It helps to ward off depression, which is easy to fall into when you are dealing with chronic fatigue.

Jan

Thank you all so much- today marks 3 weeks since my surgery and I am literally taking it one day at a time, yesterday I was out walking around for 3-4 hours, today I had to come home after less than 20 minutes... I know in the grand scheme of things that this will all pass, but wow, this last surgery really has me wiped, and getting off the steroids isn't helping things at all. I am sure its a big contributor (because my bloodwork is back and my counts look good, I am not dehydrated and I am not anemic... I cannot wait until I too can help others on this site by telling them it gets better, that life picks up again, and that you get the hang of the pains, frequency, butt burn, cramping, sleeplessness, etc. Untl then you are all such a blessing, thank you again!

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.