Skip to main content

hi everyone.  I haven’t been on here for about 10 years or more!  My husband had jpouch surgery in 2001 due to colitis.

Our 13 year old has had blood in his stool for a few weeks now.  The blood seemed like it was from wiping, not inside his stool , so I thought it was hemmeroids. He had a blood test that showed an infection (or inflammation)but we weren’t sure if it was from a recent strep thoat diagnosis. We then did a stool sample and that came back positive for an inflammation. (Could that be from a hemmeroid??)  Our next step is to do a colonoscopy. I’m not really sure what my question is , but does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?  He missed school today because he was going so often.  I just went to get some VSL but cvs and walgeeens didn’t have it because of a recall. I bought Heathers Tummy tamers and have been giving him probiotics. Any suggestions to help with urgency?  

Thanks in advance.  It’s been awhile and I found this site so helpful when my husband just had his colitis and surgery. 

Last edited by Allysonfitz
Original Post

Have you tried Imodium or Pepto-Bismol in the meantime? I hope it’s just a lingering GI bug, but the colonoscopy should help answer that question.

The family history can help clarify the diagnosis, but it can also distract from other possibilities. Giardiasis (and other parasitic infections) should be tested for. C. dificile needs to be ruled out.

Probiotics probably won’t do any harm, but they probably won’t do any good, either, IMO.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.