Skip to main content

Hi all,

i am 13 weeks pregnant with my second child. I didn't have any gut issues/pouch issues with my first.
My bowel motions have become loose since becoming pregnant. My guts have also become very lethargic and I am unable to eat very much at meal times. If I eat too much I vomit a couple of hours later due to the food sitting in my stomach for too long. I cannot eat my usual thickener foods as they too don't seem to move along very quick which then leads to sickness and nausea. My intake of fluids has decreased as I generally don't feel like drinking much-this also leads to sickness as it fills my stomach up too much.
I have been taking diorylyte once to twice a day to help with dehydration which I think is mostly the main problem.
I feel horrible and really tired a lot of the time. I am definately not enjoying this pregnancy and have a long way to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Irene
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Irene, I was really nauseous until about 13 weeks, which made eating and drinking very difficult. If you are like majority of women, you should be at the tail end of nausea and moving into a happier time of pregnancy. With that said, you really need to try to keep your liquids up best you can. It's surprising that your bowels have become looser this early on as most experience slowing of bowels and constipation in the early weeks. You may have a case of pouchitis, which you can treat with either Flagyl or Augmentin. Do your best to eat frequent, small meals and drink with each meal. If your nausea is extremly severe and you are vomiting several times a day, you could request Zofran to help. Otherwise, there are lots of anti-nausea things you can try. Until my nausea subsided, I was taking a Unisom/vitmain B6 combo(I think B6...forget which B vitamin)at bedtime and again the B6 in the morning. It did wonders for my nausea. Hope you feel better soon!
I have the j-pouch.
I had stool leakage through my entire pregnancy. I had to use sanitary napkins all the time. I had nausea for the first 5 months and had to take both zofran and phenergan together to control the nausea. I ended up in the ER for vomiting at 8 and 12 weeks.

I just had to take it a day at a time. I was able to make it to 39 weeks and had a scheduled c-section.
Before I got pregnant: If I lifted heavy items, I could have stool leakage. If my body was not "feeling right" I could also have stool leakage.
After I got pregnant, I had stool leakage all the time. I sometimes would wake up in the middle of the night with stool leakage on the sheets. It was a mess. I got through it though.
After I had my baby, I had major complications. My gi system shut down. I ended up with an NG tube. It was a bad situation. I did have a scheduled c-section. It took a few weeks for the stool leakage to stop.
It was all worth it!
Irene, I feel for you! The combination of loose + lethargic bowels is quite the treat, eh?

I've also had continuous nausea, loose stools and gas. The gas is definitely my least favorite, since we all know us j-pouchers have trouble passing it without stool, and even less so when a baby is putting pressure on your bowels. It just builds up and gets sooo painful. I've also had stool leakage here and there...

I'm at 31 weeks now - I can definitely say I'm not as continuously miserable as first trimester. I haven't discovered any magic bullet for symptoms, but here's what has helped me:
  • Zofran. I kind of had mommy guilt for taking any meds consistently but Zofran meant I stayed hydrated and actually started gaining weight. I just take one in the morning and I'm good.
  • SMOOTHIES. Every morning I load those bad boys up with calories and protein.
  • Eating small amounts all day long. If I eat a lot all at once I feel terrible so I am literally almost always eating a little something. I think my coworkers think I have an eating disorder.
  • Exercise - I have a desk job and sitting all day does not help. What works for me is walking and swimming, and when I don't have a lot of time or the weather is crappy (like for the last 5 months) I do the 10-min prenatal pilates video on youtube.

Also stay in touch with your GI. I called mine when I was feeling worst and my CRP levels were a little elevated. They're working on a couple other tests to see what the source might be, but they assured me if it was pouchitis they could treat it safely for baby. Still waiting to hear on that... I'm curious to know if my symptoms are just pregnancy + an altered digestive system or also being exacerbated by something else.

Hang in there!! Keep us updated!

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.