Skip to main content

Hello, this is my first time posting, but have followed the forum for a few years and appreciate the posts and advice given on this site.

I am 40 years old and 12 years post take down, standard J-Pouch. The past 11 years have been great, no issues, BM's average 3-5 per day until January of this year. I have had some stressful events occur in my life in 2015 (new job, hosting an exchange student and raising our own teenager). Almost immediately after the new year, I started having an increase in BM's, urgency to them and symptoms that were similar to my experience with Ulcerative Colitis, which I had for 8 years before the J-Pouch surgery. 

I ended up in the ER twice in February with a bladder infection, the first time due to severe pain and fatigue. They treated me with Cipro and Flagyl, a week later I was back in the ER due to continuous vomiting/dry heaving for 2+ hours. They gave me pain meds, anti-nausea meds and took me off the Flagyl. The doc in the ER determined the Flagyl caused the vomiting and likely killed all the good bacteria in my gut. By the end of March I was feeling better and thought this was behind me. This was also the first time I was able to get into see my GI doctor due to not being a patient for 11 years. He advised that the symptoms were due to the bladder infection and if I had any issues to contact him.

By April, I was experiencing increased BM's and vaginal discharge that was discolored and extreme from what I had ever experienced in the past. I was concerned that I had a rectal-vaginal fistula and called my GI. My reasoning for this was that the vaginal discharge had the same consistency and color as my stool. I could also feel almost like a feeling of "back-up" when I had to hold my BM in due to lack of a restroom to use. It feels as if I am passing gas through my vagina. My GI decided to do a colonoscopy and warned that there was not much to view due to the J-Pouch. This was done at the beginning of May and resulted in a negative return. However, he did say that I had a mild case of pouchitis and put me on a steroid. None of which really helped the frequency and urgency to my BM's. And definitely didn't help the vaginal discharge, which requires me to wear a liner every single day, no exceptions (including swimwear, making swimming rather difficult.) Oddly, a tampon was not even working to keep the discharge from soiling my undergarments. At this point, I saw my Gyn, she put me on Diflucan but no luck, that didn't touch the now raging yeast infection. Discharge, itching, a mess!

I have been bounced between my GI, Gyn and primary care doc all year having a colonoscopy, CT scan of abdomen and pelvis, over 20 labs drawn for everything under the sun, but almost everything has come back negative. Leaving me with BM frequency/urgency, fatigue, weakness, vaginal itching and discharge that is embarrassing and no desire to be intimate with my spouse. It's been a rough year and I am feeling down as a result, wondering if I will ever feel some normalcy again. While I understand that this is in no way as severe as I once was (pre-surgery) and I am grateful for this. But the past 11 years were almost a teaser as I really believed that the worst was behind me. 

I have started seeing a homeopathic doctor who is thinking outside of the Western medicine box and does not use prescription meds, which I am all for. I don't need anymore side effects. She has identified low Iodine levels, low iron, a hyperactive thyroid and low B12, so now I am on B12, Iron and iodine supplements. The iron is helping, I don't feel as fatigued as I did prior to starting. But I am still weak and experiencing all the other issues with no reprieve. I worry that due to my J-Pouch, most docs simply don't know how to treat my symptoms outside of the normal protocol. 

Sorry for the lengthy post, but wanted to give as much backstory as possible for those that may have or be experiencing the same. I am looking for any advice, guidance, etc. to help find some relief from these symptoms. I would like to gain weight, I am between 95 - 100 lbs on average and 5'4", definitely underweight. I feel like a skeleton and want to put weight on and gain some strength, but due to my symptoms, I have a hard time eating enough to put weight on. Also curious what pro biotics are best for those with J-Pouch. I am not currently taking them now, but feel I should due to the flagyl use earlier this year and the consistent yeast infection that cannot be treated by diflucan.

Any advice is much appreciated and welcomed. 

Thank you!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello, Jules2. The probiotic strain my doctor specifically told me to take following Cipro and Flagyl is S. Boulardi. It can be bought on its own in 5 or 10 billion doses, or you can buy it as a strain within a bottle of other strains. What is your diet like?Eggs provide B12 and protein; iron is found in spinach. I attend a cancer group where they advise getting your vitamins, minerals, proteins, etc., from whole, unprocessed food sources instead of supplements. Ask your homeopath to draw up a diet plan for you with food and drink aimed at restoring, balancing your energy and strength so you can fight off whatever is causing your imbalance. It is hard for you to go through this after almost a dozen years of good health. Have you contacted your surgeon who created your Jpouch?

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time, Jules. You've got a couple of things going on, and your doctors don't sound inspired. I can't quite tell from your story whether the Cipro/Flagyl helped with your stool frequency. That might help work out whether you're dealing with pouchitis. I know the Flagyl was stopped, but how long were you on the Cipro? Also, were you tested for C. Diff? That can be a very troublesome cause of frequency.

The combination of bladder infection, and stool and air in your vaginal area *not stopped by a tampon* make me wonder if you might have an enterovesical fistula (a fistula between your pouch/intestine and your bladder). Is it possible the stool and air could be coming from your urethra (where you pee)? If not, a recto-vaginal fistula is also possible, with the UTI tracking up the urethra. Fistulas can be a real nuisance, but they're worse when you don't know what's going on. A good gastroenterologist should be able to help you with this, or perhaps the right colorectal surgeon. 

The probiotics come in two general classes: helpful bacteria or helpful yeast. The S. boulardi (like Florastor) suggested by Winterberry is a helpful yeast, generally used to prevent C. Diff. I use VSL#3 DS for helpfu bacteria, but other people have had good results with Align. The bacteria seem to help with pouchitis. 

I hope this helps a bit.

Thank you both so much for your insight. I agree, my docs are not "inspired", I like your word choice Scott. ��

I did try to go on a whole food diet early this year, organic veggies, kale, spinach and really watched my protein intake. I really like all veggies, cooked or raw. But I don't digest these foods well. It didn't help with my increased BMs. It made things worse, so I subsided on the green leafy veggies as much. 

I have not contacted my surgeon, but am open to any suggestions. 

The antibiotics didn't help with the increased BM. They were given to me for the bladder infection and I was only on for about 10 days (a standard round to treat the UTI)  And when I had the colonoscopy I was put on steroids for the pouchitis, not an antibiotic. I was tested for C-diff, negative. 

Also, both my Gyn and primary doc tested my vaginal discharge for bacteria, both negative. I suppose the air/discharge could be coming from my urethra, but I'm not sure how to tell exactly. Makes sense that the tampon wouldn't prevent the leaking. 

So, I'm left wondering why the discharge tested negative for bacteria if there may be a fistula between my rectum and vagina or bladder. And that wasn't found with the colonoscopy or during a thorough pelvic exam. 

My primary suggested seeing an immunologist/allergist. May try that too. 

But I will definitely start a pro biotic and sincerely appreciate the recommendations. I want to be sure it's one that others with this surgery have tried with success. I do always worry that my physicians (Western or homeopathic) don't really know how to treat someone with a J-Pouch/without a colon. 

Thank you both again! It really helps taking to those who have been through this on some level. My close friends and family don't quite understand as I'm the only person we all know who has had this surgery. And given my extreme success for so many years post op, we are all at a loss right now. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you both (if you celebrate.��)

Sincere Regards,

Jules

Hi, Jules2.

While you decide about including an allergist to your medical support group, try to fix what you can control, and that's your diet. If you're having frequency try not to eat the leafy greens or other roughage and see if things calm down. Try to eat soluable fiber. If you like zucchini, peel the skin away and eat only the fleshy part (soluble). Turn your veg into soups with a blender. Treat your pouch like a one year old baby: soft foods that have lots of protein and some carbs, reduce sugar. Try a loaf of sourdough bread (has some probiotic properties) to see if you like it. Put almond butter or peanut butter on it, slather it on if you want to put on weight. Try not to send anything to your pouch that a toddler can't digest. Give the pouch some rest from roughage and see if you feel better for not having to go all the time. If I were you, I would call my original colorectal surgeon who built the pouch. He / she would have your medical file, scopes, X-rays, notes, everything, and might be in a better position to help you. That surgeon is like the tailor who made a bespoke suit: they know every stitch, every bit of fabric, every cut. I hope you get to see your surgeon and find out what's happening and find relief soon. Happy thanksgiving.

Jules, if the discharge was negative for bacteria (in two tests) then it's very puzzling, particularly with the air you described. It's unlikely to be stool, I think. I suppose the antibiotics could have killed most of the bacteria, depending on the timing of the cultures, but I'm at a bit of a loss. I can't begin to imagine what an allergist might do for you, much less a homeopath. Is the bladder infection cleared up now? Since the diflucan didn't do the trick, what's plan B for the yeast? Your Gyn should be able to help with these.

Steroids are a strange initial treatment for pouchitis. Does your GI have any other J-pouch patients? You can do a couple of things by yourself to manage the stool frequency, for comfort and in the hope that clearing up the other things might calm it down. Are you using any Imodium? That can help with frequency. Also, how about soluble fiber, like Metamucil? If your stools are liquid, soluble fiber should thicken/bulk them up.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.