Skip to main content

When I had the surgery for the J-Pouch, I thought I had closed the door on a very painful and scary chapter of my life.

However, since day 1, this pouch has become my burden, an anchor, for so many of the simple pleasures I used to enjoy.

I believe damage was done to some of the nerves to my rectum. I can keep things in, but only with intense effort. Despite this, I am almost always 'leaky'. The leakiness creates an immense amount of discomfort and pain…as well as embarrassment.

I can't stand for long periods of time. I can't walk safely for more than half a block. Sleeping is a struggle as the irritation and discomfort will often keep me up throughout the night.

I miss hiking. I miss walking through the park with my wife. I miss socializing with friends without putting limitation on what we do. I miss being able to move around normally without having to conduct damage control in the bathroom.

This has affected my ability to live in the moment, as my pouch is a constant distraction. I am short with my dear wife, family, and friends. I have forgotten what it feels like to be comfortable.

I met with a surgeon at Stanford a year ago, ready to schedule a reversal back to the iliostomy. He told me that my decision was extreme, and recommended against it. He wanted to do exploratory surgery to find out why I have problems with control. I left, feeling defeated.

I just want my bag back. It was nothing compared to the challenges I face with this pouch.

Can anyone recommend a good surgeon that will help me with this? Anywhere in the US, I just need to make this happen, and I want it done by someone who cares, takes me seriously, and will think outside of the box to make this work.

Thank you - Cameron
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Who did your Jpouch. I had mine done at El Camino Hospital in 91 but it failed 15 years later and I had to gp to Scriplps La Jolla for a Kock pouch by Dr Launer. He passed away and now Dr Worsey is taking his patients. I never had any luck with Stanford MD's Completely uncaring *******s.

Sorry but you do not have to go so far as the Cleveland Clinic when you can get help in San Diego, CA.

Jeanne Scott, Rn Jpouch to a kock pouch
I live in San Diego and used Dr. Mathew Isho. Maybe he can give you a phone consultation.

I don't know if he is "great" since I have nothing to compare him to. For the most part my pouch is tolerable and any issues I may have are mostly self-induced because I refuse to restrict my diet.

I am able to do all activities and foods in moderation..... so YES I have the quality of life that makes me happy.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.