Skip to main content

Tired of going through tp so fast. Tired of going to the bathroom all the time. Tired of finally getting immodium, metamucil and diet down to a science, and still have explosive diarrhea for no reason. Tured of hearing it takes time for your system to adjust. Tired of cooking something delicious for the fam and eating rice myself. Tired of doing laundry every other day from going through all the underwear. Tired of the VA acting like they will help only for it not to work. Just tired!

Original Post

Hello, Sharon. The first few months are so overwhelming and frustrating. I am 3.5 months post takedown. The first few weeks were great, then pouchitis arrived and it's been touch and go with fissures, some good days, some frustrating. Have you got a bidet, even if it's just the squeeze bottle type with special nozzle? You won't go through so much toilet paper, and the warm water can bring blood to that area to help you heal, or at least feel better about the TP.  Your small intestine, now your new j pouch, is trying to learn what it's supposed to do for you. Some days I was 15 times in the bathroom, every 20 minutes at night, and I was exhausted, just like you, and weak. Frightened, too, that this might be my new life, and I wondered why I made the decision. Of course I had no choice. 

Then one day, for no special reason I could think of, it suddenly got better. Down to 5-8 times a day, leakage to a minimum, no need to rely on panty-liners 24/7, no more laundry every single day. I did cut back on simple carbs and try to eat complex carbs. I keep a simple food diary so I know what causes problems. It puts you back in control. My surgeon told me that bad days should be expected but as long as I have more good days than bad ones, I am going in the right direction. In my first weeks, I did drink lots of broth with finely chopped spinach and chicken in it. Ate whole, minimally processed foods that are soft on the overworked, raw j pouch, walked 30 minutes everyday (not too far from home!)  It's boring to eat plain rice while everyone is having BBQ, but it won't be forever. Can you put the delicious food you make in a food processor for a few seconds and break it down a bit so you can eat it? Or turn it into a soup using a hand blender stick and broth?  Just so you are eating what your family is having. Sharon, I hope you feel better.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.