Skip to main content

I just posted this in Ostomy but thought maybe it should go here instead...

I am 11 days post stage 1 of 2 stage pouch surgery.  So I have a diverting ileo, which is another question. But, my MAIN question is -- did anyone else have multiple time a day emptying of their pouch this early?  I am female (not sure if it is different for males) and almost every time I urinate, I release my pouch.  I can't I mean too, but after some urinary retention issues I kinda have to push to empty my bladder.  

The pouch contents seems like tarry stool with streaks of blood.  Over the course of the past few days it has gotten lighter but is always a fairly significant amount (like 1/4 to 1/2 c) which is more then what I was initially told which was 'occasional mucous'.  So, is this good?  My tush is getting a bit raw -- is the distal loop getting some stuff in it which is traveling down to my pouch?  Anyone with similar experiences?

Second -- the skin around my ostomy is killing me.  Should I just change the wafer every day and resdress it?  I have no local ostomy nurse.  Mine is 1 1/2hr away.  The skin isn't bleeding just about 1/4 inch circle around the ostomy itself.  I was changed to a convex wafer, switched to an Eakin Ring, use the powder and spray.  My stoma is between 1 1/4" and 1 1/8" with a 2 1/2' flange so the supid thing just hits the edge of my belly button so the tape border had to go into my belly button.  I leaked two days ago in the area at night.  (POOP-mergency!!)  So -- I am just not sure what else I should do...

Thanks for the help!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is not uncommon. The diverting ileostomy is not disconnecting your j-pouch completely, so most of the stool should go into your appliance. Sometimes more slips by. Maybe your stoma is a little swollen or tipped. 

But, bottom line, yeah, it happens. Not exactly what they plan for, but not a big deal either. So, unless your stoma is obstructed and you never have to empty your appliance, it should be fine.

Jan

Jan - I wondered myself if it was stool, just never expected the frequency or amount.  I was thinking beige mucous with maybe some blood streaking.  Now I feel like I am dealing from poop from two orifices.  LOL.  Think that I can convince her to do the take down earlier?  I wondered how common this was too?  

BTW, you helped me a week or so BEFORE my surgery.  So...Thank you!  Aside from the horrendous diet restrictions and a few minor complications I am doing really well.  Oh Happy Day!

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.