Skip to main content

I'm 10 weeks pregnant, and just came home from my first OB appointment... I'm totally freaking out.

I realize my Dr. was likely just being thorough but he's got me very worried about my pregnancy.

We were not trying for a baby, it happened by fluke, miracle, accident, whatever you may call it, but I've been going through a hell of a time, my Mom died from cancer 4 weeks ago, and I got pregnant while I was staying with her taking care of her. I took a weekend off to go home to see my boyfriend and we relieved our stress, and bada boom! New family member on the way!

So here is my issue... The Doc explained that how the pregnancy goes depends on how much scar tissue I have and whether there are any adhesions on the back side of the uterus. He said depending on how things are arranged in there I may end up having a very painful pregnancy. He's referring me to the closest major medical centre over an hour away for a consult and he's advised that chances are it will be a C-section, and he will ensure there is a general surgeon in the delivery room in case anything goes wrong with the bowels. I'm going for another ultrasound in mid November, and my GI is sending me for an endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy and MRI in December.

The Dr. said that of the 8000 babies he's delivered, I'm the first woman he's known of to have ulcerative colitis with multiple surgeries to get pregnant so easily. He said most women have blocked tubes and struggle to get pregnant and most never do. He says I have a miracle baby in my belly.

My last surgery was Nov 2011 and I've had chronic pouchitis ever since. I'm dealing with rectal bleeding and sharp stabbing pains, they think I may have a fistula (or just scar tissue) but no one seems to know quite yet what's causing it.

So I'm stressed, and worried, and nervous, and I don't know if my Dr. is just being cautious or if there is something seriously wrong inside me and I'm worried that my pregnancy is going to be extremely painful as the baby grows and stretches everything out in there.

So... any words of wisdom to calm my fears from you, the experts who have been through this ringer before?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I tried to post a reply yesterday, but doesn't look like it took. Basically, don't panic!! There are a whole bunch of us on here that have had totally normal pregnancies! You've gotten pregnant, and that is typically the more difficult part after surgery. Your pregnancy will likely be very similar to anyone else, except that you'll have an increase in frequency especially the last trimester. You may feel some pulling around the scar tissue as your belly expands, but I don't know that it would be painful (others may have had different experiences). I didn't even notice that issue at all. A c-section may be the best option for you, but maybe not. Many j-poucher have had regular deliveries. There should not be the concern about damage or anything specific to your actual pouch. Your rectal bleeding could be cuffitis or even more common with pregnancy, hemmorhoids or a fissure. Regarding chronic pouchitis, I also had it and managed it during pregnancy. I stayed on a low dose of Augmentin for 9 months, which worked just fine. Get to your GI soon and get the bleeding figured out. Don't let the docs scare you just because they aren't familiar with a pouch.
EVen women without our issues get worried in pregnancy. First, its a totally uncertain process. Second, you are caring for a new life. Third, your hormones are nuts, so everything is amplified.

Take a deep breath and remember that the dr was likely giving you worst case scenarios.

I have a perm ileo and had a near total obstruction during my first pregnancy due to the adhesions the dr mentioned to you. It was touch and go if I might need surgery, but in the end I didn't. But here's the thing. In spite of that issue, and the trauma it caused, my baby was born full term and perfectly healthy and is now going to be 8 (which I find impossible to believe). And my second pregnancy was perfect with no problems at all and that "baby" is 5.

The whole process of becoming and then being a parent is filled with worry and panic and joy and excitement and fear and terror and amazement and wonder. You have to take the bad with the good and just know that you will do the best you can to protect and care for your child. THen just go with it. Easier said than done, believe me I know...

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.