Skip to main content

First I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year. Second I wanted to update everyone on my condition 10 months after I was reconnected with my J-Pouch. Third I want to let everyone know that if you have a good surgeon you regain your normal life and move forward after colon removal.

I am a 73 year old male who was diagnosed with IBD two years ago.  I saw several gastro doctors.  All they wanted to do was shoot me up with biologics, and said I would be on these the rest of my life.  The biologics didn't work.  I had a total blockage.  The surgeon installed an ostomy to allow my colon to heal.  It did not heal and the surgeon said the best thing to do was to remove the colon.  I resisted.  After doing a lot of research I relented.  The ostomy was closed, the colon removed and the surgeon gave me an ileostomy.  The ileostomy was eventually closed and I was reconnected with a J-Pouch.

The first few months were difficult.  There was a lot of pain.  There were many trips to the bathroom and testing which foods I could eat and which foods were problematic. 

It has all been worth it.  After 10 months I am feeling normal again.  Yes I move my bowels 3-4 times a day depending what I eat, but this is not show stopper.  There are bathrooms everywhere.  I travel, I play golf at least three times a week (sometimes I have to stop after nine holes to go to the bathroom, sometimes I don't, depends on what I eat before golf), I lift weights, I run 3-4 miles at least three times per week and I enter foot races.

No I am not the healthy young male that I was, but who is at 73 years old? I love my life and am grateful to God that he guided me to my surgeon, Dr. Bashar Safar, Johns Hopkins Hospital.

So to all of you who are having problems with your colon I recommend you do the necessary research and if you decide to move forward with the surgery  you find the right doctor who has done a number of successful J-Pouch procedures.  Be prepared for a few months of pain and adjustment but know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck and God Bless.

Nick

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.