Skip to main content

I had mine j pouch surgery on the 27th august of last year. It was a one step surgery and the doc said that he had done it really well.

Initially I had the same problems like too many bowel movments and butt burn. The butt burn was bad. But my condition started improving roughly 3 months into the surgery. I started gaining weight and bowels movments came down. But than I started having a lot of issues with gas...I mean my stomach would growl all the time.

Two months of cipro and probiotics....but my doc could not figure out what was wrong. Soon I found out it a was stricutre. I have had 3 dilations done uptil now.After being operated on stricture my appettie came back and I started eating like crazy...gained 15 pounds...
Right now I am feeling crazy like a normal person....eat everything popcorn...vegetables..seed...anytime..drink..I am not on a single med.

I have started going to the gym and gained a few muscles also. My question to the fellow Jpouchers is what care should I be taking. Does lifting weights strain the jpouch...can it remove the stitiches?
After living like a normal person for 6 months
I just cant go back to gas and buttburns..

Regards
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yeah those strictures are a pain. I had to be dilated on five separate occasions. I have been fine for the past four years with that and now I am starting to have those symptoms again. The crazy bowel noises always tips me off that something is up. Time to go see my surgeon for a check up.

You are fine to lift weights with your J pouch as long as you take care and work your way up gradually.

I am always impressed with one steppers. It's amazing they can do all of that in one step. Continued good health to you!
A stricture is a narrowing of the passage, usually at the entrance to (inlet) or exit from (outlet) the pouch. Depending on the degree of narrowing, the symptoms can vary a lot, but generally act like stuff not getting through as easily as it should. Strictures are generally treated with dilation, using someting like a balloon or rod to stretch out and widen the opening. Repeated dilations may be needed.
Different things can cause strictures. Here's a paragraph from a 2010 Bo Shen paper that talks about strictures (I removed the reference numbers for clarity):

quote:
Strictures after IPAA are common. In a series of 1,884 cases with IPAA, pouch strictures occurred in 213 patients (11%). However, most of those strictures are self-limiting web-type strictures that are recognized and dilated at the time of stoma closure. Common locations are at the anastomosis, pouch inlet, and site of prior ileostomy. Contributing etiological factors include surgery-associated ischemia, use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and CD. Strictures can be treated with medical therapy (including cessation of NSAIDs and pharmaceutical treatment for CD) as well as endoscopic or bougie dilations, endoscopic needle knife therapy, surgical stricturoplasty, bowel resection and anastomosis, or pouch diversion or excision.

So he's basically saying that strictures can generally be caused by insufficient blood supply after surgery, NSAIDs, and Crohn's Disease.
Hi all. I am almost 3 months post-takedown and wasn't thinking anything was technically wrong with me until I read this post. I have been having tons of gas for the last couple months, but figured it was just my "new normal". I'm not going very frequently (maybe 5-8 times per day) and am eating normally, though still somewhat low-residue. Aside from butt burn I only have a little gas pain that mainly kicks in later in the day. So, nothing that seems alarming, but the gas is an inconvenience as far as needing bathroom privacy. I never have an urgent need to go like I did with colitis, so at least I can usually hold it for a while. Thankfully my husband has a good sense of humor about all of this so I can feel comfortable at home!

Is this gassiness normal j-pouch behavior or do you think I could have a stricture?
Pure gassiness is more often either dietary (beans, broccoli, swallowing air) or a sign of SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). If it's not bothering you much, you might try traditional ways of managing gassiness before medicalizing it.

Everybody has gas, but it's tougher for J-pouchers because most of us can't safely release it when off the toilet.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.