Skip to main content

I have some questions that I know this group can answer.  I had the JPouch constructed on 8/18, been home a week now.  Had severe trouble getting the pain under control, had to see my family doctor, got a shot of Demerol which got me ahead of the pain.
I'm drinking Metamucil 2 x a day as per the surgeon and eating, when I can, not much of an appetite, foods that should thicken the output, to no avail.  The output is just liquid.  Any advice?
Next is the stoma.  The skin around it is breaking down, almost purple looking and really painful.  What can I put on the skin to protect it yet still allow the barrier seals to completely seal?  It's extremely painful.  I see the ostomy nurse on Friday, but what can I do before then or should I call and get in as soon as possible to have the nurse look at it?
Have any of you had these things happen after the 2nd surgery?  I don't want anyone to have this pain and these symptoms, but if anyone did, what did you do to alleviate them???  I don't know how much more of this I can take, this is really testing my resolve.
Thanks to all of you!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I only had a 2 step open surgery in 1991.  I quit all pain meds in the hospital, when I developed an ileus, so can't help you there... stupid?  Maybe... but I think I have a weird pain tolerance, honestly. 

I was told to eat thickening foods, but honestly, if it's a "loop" ileostomy, or even an ileostomy, it's never going to be super thick. Loops are higher up the small bowel, too, so will be even more liquidy. Small bowel stool just isn't the same as colonic stool. I didn't do anything particularly different, but you can try things like bananas or pretzels, the psyllium or Citrucel, or use Imodium or Lomotil to slow things. Opiates have a tendency to slow things, too, such as opium tincture. 

Stoma wise, I cleansed well, and used skin prep pads to make a barrier on the skin, and stomahesive paste around the cut out hole of the ostomy appliance's flange. Try to make sure you're cutting the hole "just the right size" around the stoma, to alleviate leakage. 

Last edited by rachelraven

I put stoma powder on the broken skin, dusted it off, and sprayed a film of skin barrier over it. On my second stoma, my output never thickened, as I had a bowel obstruction and couldn't eat solids. But I used Coloplast barrier strips and convex wafers, and they worked surprisingly well, considering my output was completely liquid. They didn't leak, and I had some skin breakdown, but not too bad. Because I was also always dehydrated, my surgeon did the takedown after five weeks instead of six. So far things are going well. 

Sorry you're having such a hard time! Hope the ostomy nurse can help. 

No reason they can't fit you in before Friday. As some who knows waiting a week can eat a divet in the skin you have to get in sooner then later.  You may need convexity.  You may be getting a pressure ulcer....you may need a better barrier system.  I was going through one appliance every 24 hours because of skin breakdown and leaking. Call them and push to be seen!

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.