Skip to main content

I am one month out since my takedown. I am feeling great. I gained two pounds and I am starting to look healthy again. But, my trips to the bathroom have me upset. I go on average 15 to 20 times. I would say half of the time I didn't completely empty bowel so I end up going again a few minutes later. Also, most activity is after 4 pm. My diet is bland: Greek yogurt, boiled chicken, boiled potatoes and rice. My stool is formed with occasional loose stool. I also dont eat after 6 pm. Again, I feel good no cramping, except butt burn. I go to my surgeon today for follow up. I haven't taken Imodium or pepto yet. Is this normal in the early stages of takedown?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, this is very normal so soon after. It can take a few months or more for things to settle. My surgeon told me it could take up to a year even but hopefully things will settle for you much sooner than that. Everyone adjusts at different rates so its hard to compare yourself to others. Make sure you have a list of all your concerns for your surgeon at your follow up. Oh and it took me a full year to gain the weight back that I lost from all the surgeries. Then I gained 10 extra pounds that I just had to diet to lose! It all eventually goes back to normal....well, your new normal. Smiler
This is normal. when it can be helped, such as at home and sitting down. Try to hold the stool in longer than you usually do to try to help stretch the pouch. I'm three months out and I only go 4-6 times a day now, very little butt burn, and feeling very good. I was in the same position as you one month out. (maybe a little bit better at 12 times a day)

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.